Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2013 08:00

How to re-install OS using OEM partition? please help

I want to re-install the windows 8 using the OEM partition, the laptop is dell inspiron 15R 5521. Please give the instructions.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 15th, 2013 10:00

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19471699.aspx 

Also look up Recovery in Windows Help. Note that you usually need recovery disks to reinstall windows 8 factory image. You should already have made those. It's too late to do it when you are having problems. Post the reason for reinstalling windows and maybe someone will help with the problem so reinstalling is not necessary.

25 Posts

September 15th, 2013 19:00

i have the recovery media created on a usb, but please tell me how to reinstall using it, or recovery media isn't the one we are talking about. Its sized about 300MB.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 18th, 2013 11:00

Use the backup program you used to create the partition on usb drive to access the recovery partition. You cannot copy the recovery partition directly. A special program must be used like Dell Backup and Recovery or Windows 8 Create a recovery boot disk or drive. If you made a recovery drive or disk, boot to that to start the recovery. 

2.6K Posts

September 18th, 2013 14:00

Hello Adib254,

In addition to what Mary has said, you may also refer to this article on how to How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

Hope this helps!

25 Posts

September 18th, 2013 21:00

Thanks for the help, I managed to reinstall the OS perfectly. But is there any way to make a bootable backup copy of the OEM partition? There is an option to make a recovery media in Dell Backup and Recovery software but that creates a image of file size 300MB, but what if the partition gets corrupted?

2.6K Posts

September 19th, 2013 17:00

Hello Adib254,

Refer the thread mentioned by Mary in her first post, which has steps to create recovery disks. In case the recovery partition gets corrupted, we would not be able to create recovery media.

Hope this helps!

No Events found!