Highlighted
Kuba1
1 Nickel

How to recover W7 OS on new HDD from USB flash disk?

Jump to solution

I have my friends laptop Dell Inspirion 1545. The HDD have many bad sectors but I had time to do:

• a copy of dell recovery image to usb flash drive via Dell Backup and Recovery Application
  • a copy of very important files
  • and a copy of 2 partitions to each image file using Acronis True Image application:
  1. FAT16           Pri        39,19MB  FS:FAT16 Partition: 0xde (EISA configuration)
  2. RECOVERY  Pri,Act  14.65GB  NTFS

RECOVERY partition have the same content as usb flash drive with I used to make a Dell recovery image.

If she buy a new HDD what should I do/use to recover Windows 7 from USB flash drive?

PS. I have nothing to loose and I try to play with failed hdd.
First I make partition from LBA 0 to first 80GB where were bad sectors and hide this partition.
Next I make those 2 "dell" partitions, and rest for system files.
Next I recover those 2 "dell" partitions using Acronis True Image.
Next I use usb flash drive to try recover Windows 7, it recovers for maybe 10 seconds and it says done, please restart.
When it shows BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl + alt +del and now I can see only 2 partitions labeled OS ~298GB and RECOVERY ~2GB.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kuba1
1 Nickel

RE: How to recover W7 OS on new HDD from USB flash disk?

Jump to solution

The problem is solved.

The best solution is to use ImageX 2.0 to extract Factory.wim file from RECOVERY partition or from USB flash disk. Just search on google. Clean OS installation is also an option - I know about it. Fortunately, this Dell Factory Settings does not contain unnecessary software.

Thanks all for help!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: How to recover W7 OS on new HDD from USB flash disk?

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Kuba1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Osprey,

I can't boot the system because HDD was formatted and partitioned...

Is any difference in creating recovery discs or flash disk using the Dell Datasafe or Dell Backup and Recovery Application?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

I do not know of a way to restore the recovery partition once it's no longer set up in the proper partition on the hard drive. I think the best solution is to purchase a Dell Windows 7 reinstallation disc. They aren't expensive. Your laptop has a Windows 7 license, so you're only buying the disc.

0 Kudos
Kuba1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I didn't know about this :/

Dell has two Backup and Recovery Programs, DataSafe Local Backup 2.0, and Dell Backup and Recovery Manager.

Dell Inspirons, Studios, and XPS Systems use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 as of April 22, 2009.
If you have an Inspiron, Studio, or XPS that you purchased before April 22, 2009.
Click here for Restore and Reinstall information.

Dell OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, and Precisions use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager as of May 26, 2009.
If you have an OptiPlex, Latitude, or Precision that you purchased before May 26, 2009
Click here for Restore and Reinstall information.

Dell Inspirion 1545 was purchased 2009-10-23.

I will try to use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 at other PC, maybe it will recognize the copy of dell recovery image from usb flash drive with was created via Dell Backup and Recovery Application.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Ok, give it a try. Let me know how things work out.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I recommend manual clean installation. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 (page 8):

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

This will give you superior performance than the Dell Factory Settings. As for hard drive replacement I recommend use of a Solid State Drive, which will also give you superior performance. Note the Dell DataSafe programs will fail to function if the new SSD has less storage capacity than the original HDD's capacity, another advantage to clean installation.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Kuba1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The problem is solved.

The best solution is to use ImageX 2.0 to extract Factory.wim file from RECOVERY partition or from USB flash disk. Just search on google. Clean OS installation is also an option - I know about it. Fortunately, this Dell Factory Settings does not contain unnecessary software.

Thanks all for help!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Excellent! Glad that worked.

0 Kudos
jimlilko
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just recieved a new hard drive for my Dell Inspiron 580. It came with a recovery flash drive. Do I need to set the boot sequence in the BIOS or will the computer just recognize the flash drive?

0 Kudos