Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2014 22:00

Important information on the TS-L632D CD/DVD/BD drive

I just purchased a TS-L632D CD/DVD/BD drive and, like others, can not use the drive to read blue-ray discs.  I downloaded the driver from Dell and applied it - nothing.  I found a post here about downloading the SC04 version and using that - nothing.  I went off across the internet to Korea and downloaded software from TSST itself to try - nothing.  So I was a bit frustrated to say the least.  Still am frustrated actually.  However, I came across a resource that was too good not to post something here about.  It is a repository of ALL of the various drivers for the TS-L632D CD/DVD/BD drive.  The repository is located here:

http://backfire.rpc1.org/tsstcorp/index.php?path=TS-L632D/

In this one location are somewhere around 40 different versions of the driver software - even Dell's driver.  Here you can download each one and try installing it to see if it works for you.  Enjoy!  :-)

This is my good deed for the day.  :-)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 28th, 2014 10:00

Hi Mekram,

There are no drivers for this drive. Windows provides the same generic driver for all optical drives. The link you've got is to firmware, not drivers.

If the drive is not working, there is a different problem. The first thing I would do is boot to the BIOS and verify the drive is recognized there. If it isn't, then the drive is not installed properly.

29 Posts

January 28th, 2014 11:00

Hi Osprey4!  :-)

Yes!  Actually I meant firmware but in my stupidity said drivers.  The drive is recognized and will read CDs and DVDs.  But it will not read Blue-ray Discs (BDs).  CD and DVD discs show up normally but upon double-clicking the drive icon with a blue-ray disc in it all I get is a blank dialog box.  Nero, Roxio, Imgburn, and others say they can read the disc but if Imgburn creates an ISO from the disc it too is blank or is reported as being a corrupt ISO file.

According to several sites I have gone to an read up on this, I bought an OEM external USB drive and the manufacturer of that drive might have come from one of several locations.  SFDNWIN shows (when I run it to look at the drive) that it is TSST TS-L632D (firmware version loaded).  But at the bottom it says "HP" on the left and something on the right (I am pulling this from what I remember and do not presently have this up and running in front of me). Anyway, the reason I posted the link was because I found the site with the firmware and I remember reading here that someone else had run into the same problem I have.  They wound up using the SE04 firmware driver.  I figured that I'd post so if anyone else is looking for the right firmware they would have one location to go to - to find the firmware.

Hmmmmmm.......

Ok.  The small firmware cd I got was for a TSST TS-L632D CD/DVD/BD disk drive.  So I never really took a good look at what SFDNWIN said.  Unfortunately, I just ASSUMED that the people who sold the item had the right drivers/firmware in the box with the device.  However!  After taking a very close look at the information being presented by SFDNWIN - it is not.

I then ran DiscInfo and got

For the TSST drive.  BUT!  I was just verifying the TSST stuff and never did the pull down on DiscInfo.  In the pulldown it shows drive K (the BD drive) to actually be:

The HP drive. So I have restored the TSST drive's driver (DE04) and now I'm out looking for the HP driver because version 1.00 does not read BD discs.  At least - not on my system.

Thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 29th, 2014 15:00

What's the model of your Dell? I assume the OS is XP (from the looks of your screen shots)?

29 Posts

January 29th, 2014 18:00

The one with the problem (I have several Dells) is the Inspiron 6400 and yes - XP.  I am thinking that XP simply does not have the proper drivers.  That those are made more for System 7.  I also thought that maybe I would go to Fry's to see if I can't pick up a BD there that is compatible with XP.

Thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2014 09:00

XP support for BR drives is limited. Again, the same generic drivers are used for all optical drives, so after-market software for writing to BD discs is required. But you cannot view blu ray movies in XP due to lack of DHCP support.

29 Posts

January 30th, 2014 10:00

Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be something like that.  XP came out way before Blue-ray so support in XP would be limited.  Sort of like USB and windows 98se.  They had it for 98se but the driver was in a folder all by itself and not installed with the OS.  You had to know about the file and go and install it yourself.  So 98se always had limited usage of USB.  Same with XP.  Microsoft could have expanded XP's capabilities (after all NT, XP, 7, 8, etc... are all just Windows NT but different versions) but that became a part of the upgrade to 7.

So - like I said - I'll probably go to Frys and see if there is a Blue-ray drive there that specifically says it will work under Windows XP.  There are some but if I want to get one I should probably hurry.  That April deadline is coming up fast and once it's here most companies will drop all support of XP and treat it as the dead child of Microsoft.  Pity.  XP is the one of the smallest NT OSs Microsoft made.  I have it doing all sorts of things and it is still a great developer system.

29 Posts

February 11th, 2014 13:00

Ok!  New and IMPROVED answer!  :-)

After searching fruitlessly for an answer on this I decided to go do more of a general reading up on this problem.  This finally took me to Frys where I bought an ASUS Blue-Ray disk drive because it specifically said it worked on Windows XP.  Of course, when I put a Blue-Ray disc into the drive - it was blank.  "Bummer," I thought to myself.  "Even a Blue-Ray disk drive manufacturer couldn't get it to work right."

But then I remember reading somewhere that the problem was NOT what you (Osprey1) had said - but that the version of the UDF driver was version 1.0 under Windows XP but was either 2.5 or 2.6 on Vista and later operating systems.  So I started doing some research on that and I found one paragraph on one website about video editing with one reference - and - one driver.

It turns out that Microsoft secretly got Toshiba to create a UDF driver for Windows XP for its.......wait for it.....ORIGINAL XBox.  Yes!  The original XBox ran Windows XP and a Blue-Ray disk drive was used as a last minute replacement for the DVD drive.  In order to read and write to the disk drive you had to have a driver.  Since the Blue-Ray companies were going to UDF v2.5 - the XBox had to have that driver also.  The thing is - Microsoft didn't want to give out the new driver because they were trying to push people into buying Vista and System 7.  So they kept it secret until someone else (who owned an XBox) and who also used WIndows XP wanted to read Blue-Ray disks on their computer wanted to know why the XBox could read them - but Windows XP could not.  And so they searched the XBox's installation DVD and found the driver on it and installed it onto their Windows XP box and LO AND BEHOLD(!) - they could read and write Blue-Ray discs.

So now - ANYONE can just install this driver by hand and then they too can read and write Blue-Ray discs just like the XBox can.  If you want the driver just go to

http://www.sim1.us/page70.html

And download the driver, unzip it, and follow the instructions.  Enjoy!  I am!  :-)

No Events found!