Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2016 00:00

Inspiron 1564 Hard Disk Drive Partitions.

My Dell Inspiron 1564 , Windows 7 Home premium, has Hard Drive partioned

OEM partition 100MB

Recovery Partition  9.77GB

C: 60 GB containing the programs, data,  and files

D: 160 GB  containing  4GB of data that is hidden

That , above , is how it was shipped. Now the C drive is full.

What is the preferred way of dealing with this, does Dell have a policy on it.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 10th, 2016 18:00

Dell does not have a "policy" for this.

Back up the contents of the D: drive, go to Disk Management (right-click Computer, Manage, Storage), right-click the D: partition, and Delete the volume. Then right-click the C: drive, Extend. Then you can recreate the [smaller] D: drive and restore the data to it.

12 Posts

February 11th, 2016 04:00

In Windows explorer , with the show hidden folders view on , there are no files or folders shown in the D partition but  in the properties box of D partition  it shows 3.98   GB used on D, and so I can't see a way to back up the contents on D partition  by copying the files using Windows Explorer. 

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2016 07:00

Then you don't need to worry about it. You can show System Files ... should show whatever is there, but if it is hidden that well, you don't need it, and you can just delete the partition.

12 Posts

February 11th, 2016 08:00

Thanks

I Showed System Files and the data  on D partition  shows up  as

pagefile.sys 3985944 KB.

Is it OK to delete that. I would need to Format the D partition as the file it can't be deleted  or moved.- the dialog box reads - "The action cant be completed because the file is open in another application."

12 Posts

February 11th, 2016 09:00

One other thing - in disk management  the delete option is greyed out for D partition , Will it still be greyed out if I do format D.

12 Posts

February 11th, 2016 10:00

I removed the page file from D partition in advanced system settings. I was then able to delete the D partition.

Now the D partition is deleted and there is Free space to the right of C partition  but the extend volume option is greyed out for the C partition.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 13th, 2016 07:00

No Events found!