Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2011 11:00

Installing Samsung SSD firmware? (need boot disk that works)

So my SSD hard drive has become extremely SLOW.  I am hoping the firmware update fixes the problem, due to the presence of TRIM.  However, the firmware update requires a command prompt boot.  And as crazy as it sounds, after much searching, I have yet to find a boot disk that actually works.  Has Dell offered anyone a working boot disk in order to update this firmware?  Is it possibly available as a Dell download?

Surely someone has upgraded their firmware and knows where to get aboot disk that has been tested and actually works?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 5th, 2011 11:00

Try here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

19 Posts

January 5th, 2011 13:00

Thanks for the response.  That's the first place I tried, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 5th, 2011 15:00

Exactly what did you try, and what happened?

You can get to a command prompt from Windows itself (press F8 before Windows loads).

19 Posts

April 28th, 2011 15:00

Hello.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I have been away for work, but am back now and would like to try to install this firmware again.  

I have tried every boot disk known to man, including Bart's, Ultimate Boot CD, and bootdisk.com.  Per a Dell support tech, I even tried to just run the SSD firmware and, according to the tech, it would burn itself to a CD.  That did not work.

All the boot disks I've tried don't actually allow you to access your hard drive, so that's a problem for the firmware that needs to wipe my drive.  Back in the old DOS days, we'd just install a MSCDEX.exe driver, but apparently that's not how it works these days.

So Dell left us this firmware to install, but with no way to install it.  I'm at a bit of a loss on how to do it.

:(

No Events found!