Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

February 25th, 2004 16:00

Itunes and NEC 2100 DVD/RW (error 2131)

I've seen this thread before and there has been no up to date response to this thread.  Using Itunes I get an error 2131 when I try to burn my music to a CD.  Apple simply refuses to solve the problem and says DELL is responsible and should provide a firmware upgrade to the NEC 2100 DVD/RW.  Has anyone fixed thsi problem yet??

HP

740 Posts

February 26th, 2004 09:00

After doing a search for error 2131 on the iTunes for Windows forum, it appears there is no fix for this error as of yet. It may be of little comfort to know that you are not the only one with this problem.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2004 14:00

So Dell says it is an itunes problem and itunes says it is a Dell problem.

So this translates to it is no one's problem except the people who foolishly bought a Dell with a NEC 2100 drive and an ipod.

I guess we are the only losers in this one, Dell and Apple already have our money!

Melanie

February 26th, 2004 14:00

I believe this is more an Itunes problem.  They can't deny that Itunes is the only software that has this issue.  I've used almost every cd burning program out there from Napster to Nero to Jukebox and I have no problem at all burning cd's of my favorite songs. 

Itunes has a better interface than Napster.  But as painful as it was I moved to Napster simply to be able to burn the songs I puchased and own.  The only real thing bad about Napster is the inability to import your CD's, they also have a subscription service for $9.99 that you have to pay if you want to use their message boards.  No thanks.

!@#$ like this is why people stay on the free p2p networks.  Why try to fix something that is not broken?  Clearly we have an issue here that needs to be fixed right now.

HP

October 28th, 2007 02:00

Error 2131 and eject

Dell Insprion 1720 Vista 1 week old, burner: TSSTcorp 
DVD+RW TS-L632H ATA Device

No luck on a solution yet...however, maybe these will help someone else. I have tried...
1.Itunes: Edit>Preferences>Advanced 6th tab>Burning 3rd tab> reset speed and/or change to mp3 cd
2. uninstall/reinstall/update itunes
3. install GEARsoftware (the ppl that make itunes' engine)

No luck. Any other suggestions please email american18us@yahoo.com my wife whom I bought it for is a itunes fanatic, if she's not happy this thing is history. I've got no use for it.

10 Posts

October 29th, 2007 03:00

It isn't an iTunes issue, it is a logic flaw in the TSST TS-L632H D200 drive. And DELL has the drive's EPROM locked so you can't flash it with a new/updated Toshiba/Samsung SC01 firmware module!

I had DELL's techrep reflash the drive with the OEM (D200) firmware from a 3rd party vendor, no luck. The Region Code refuses to allow itself to be changed.

Contact DELL and ask for a replacement optical drive immediately. That's what they did for me.

I'm just amazed that DELL hasn't issued a recall for this junk drive!!

Good luck.

Message Edited by duffyatkinson on 10-28-2007 09:40 PM

October 29th, 2007 13:00

I fixed it. But I think I had to break it to do so. Roxio no longer recognizes my drive as a viable burning location, but I didn't use it anyway. Its up to you. Here's what I changed: 1. I went into the registry and removed the upper and lower limits (the upper limits look like they were set by GEAR, the apple engine ppl). location of reg keys: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us 2. I deleted itunes and re-installed it (again, I had tried it before). This re-established the upper limit. So now you have an upper limit but not a lower limit key. 3. I had been using imation CD+R cds, I went and spent some more to buy Sony CD+RW cds to try. 4. Changed the itunes burn speed to 24x( it worked but instead of only taking 2-3 minutes it now takes 14 min.), I did go back and set it back to maximum speed and it continued to work at the same speed. american18us

59 Posts

November 29th, 2007 12:00

Hi, all.

I believe NEC drives has been end of life. If you are having iTunes issue with TSST TS-L632H DVDRW. Dell has just released the firmware to resolve it today. This is working fine using iTunes 7.5

Fixes and Enhancements - Fixed the iTunes issue with "The attempt to burn a disc failed. An unknown error occurred (2131) when you tried to burn playlist to disc for blank CD-R media.
- Fixed the region code error for DVD movie playback.

59 Posts

November 29th, 2007 12:00

If you are having the region code issue with TSST TS-L632H DVDRW. Dell has just released the firmware to resolve it today. This is working fine on PowerDVD and Media Direct.

Fixes and Enhancements - Fixed the region code error for DVD movie playback.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2007 18:00

believe NEC drives has been end of life

Not that I know of.

The firmware linked to above is only for that specific drive. If the NEC drive needs new firmware, we need to get that to you. I will send this issue up the chain in hopes of getting a firmware upgrade posted.

10 Posts

November 29th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for the post! I was one of the victims of the TSST drive.

It's disconcerting that the first I have heard of it is from a forum I decided to join and NOT from DELL support directly. I have a new Inspiron 1520 purchased a month ago, and already had to go thru DELL support, get a new drive sent out and installed, and had another problem right out of the box with THAT one as well! Why DELL's product support communications wasn't up to the task of emailing as SOON AS THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE POSTED is beyond me.

I sure hope this patch does it.

Thanks again!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2007 20:00

Not a problem. I had not noticed the date when I posted. The NEC 2100 may very well be end of life. My apologies to the previous poster.

Why DELL's product support communications wasn't up to the task of emailing as SOON AS THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE POSTED is beyond me.

Not sure if this particular update was pushed via Dell Support Center 2.0, but you may want to give the application a look over.
No Events found!