Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2008 08:00

LG GSA-H31N drive inside Vostro doesn't like B110 firmware update?

Hello. I've got a Vostro 200 with a LG CD/DVD burner called "LG GSA-H31N".
Its firmware is B109 -- you can see this in the burning software's info box.

Since I can't burn some manufacturer's CDR discs, I thought: maybe a firmware update will solve this problem. Sometimes LG firmware updates include updated media lists.

I entered into the search box of DELL's site: "GSA-H31N B110", and found a few matches which link to http://ftp.us.dell.com/rmsd/B110.exe

I started the Firmware flash Exe but experienced the same problem like this user here.
... in short: at the very end of flashing the software says: "ERROR!!! - Wait for Finishing Flash xx/yy/zz"

Waiting didn't help, so after a while I shut down the PC (because a restart only didn't unlock the CD/DVD drive) and everything works. Well, I still can't burn the mentioned media but can live with it.

However, since there's been an error message and afterwards the CD/DVD drive has been locked, I guess it wasn't such a good idea to use this new firmware on my Vostro? Is it neccessary to switch back to the B109 firmware?
Does anybody know what LG changed in the B110 firmware (aside the few words inside DELL's readme file on the driver page) ?
Message Edited by Richardus on 07-22-2008 11:32 AM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 11:00

Hi, Richard:

The firmware is independent of the system, so this shouldn't create a problem.

What's the error?

By the way, which CDs are giving you trouble?

53 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 13:00

Hi Osprey4, and thanks for your reply.

Thanks for confirming my assumption, that the firmware should be independant of the system.

However for version B110, the flash tool used on my Vostro 200 (WinXP), reported the mentioned error message at the end of its flash cycle: "ERROR!!! - Wait for Finishing Flash xx/yy/zz" ... but it didn't finish whatever it wanted to finish.
The exact code number "xx/yy/zz" I don't remember anymore.

However, I guess the flash did work, because the drive works well and Nero etc report as firmware version B110 now.

Since I've not yet flashed any firmware on the Vostro's GSA-H31N drive, I can't say what went wrong. For other LG drives in other PCs the flash always worked.

The medias which I can not use to burn with the Vostro's GSA-H31N are:
* Memorex CD-R, 700 MB, 80 Minute, 52x Multi Speed.
* Nero tells as ID: "CD-R: CMC Magnetics, CD-R, 79:59.71"
(Other CD-R medias like Phillips, TDK, Verbatim, ... I can burn.)

However I can burn these Memorex CD-Rs with a LG GSA-4120B drive on another (non DELL) PC. The Vostro's GSA-H31N drive then reads the CD-R well.

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-22-2008 04:26 PM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 15:00

I would stay away from CMC. A well deserved reputation as the manufacturer of the world's worst media.

So what kind of problems are you having exactly?

53 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 14:00

Thanks for your help. Well, so I'll stay away from CMC in the future...

What kind of problems do I have exactly?

1.) The flashing of the B110 firmware didn't work as it should: the flash Exe hanged in the end and kept my GSA drive in a locked state: the drive LED glowed and at a re-boot the BIOS took 10 seconds or so to start at all, and afterwards Windows (XP) didn't find a GSA drive at all (this has been the point when I thought: now my GSA drive is gone...). However, to switch off the PC did solve that problem.

Did anybody successfully flash the B110 firmware to his GSA-H31N drive (inside a Vostro, maybe) ?

2.) The (CMC) CD-R media which can't be burned. But, since I'll keep away from them and I only got a 10 disc bundle, it's not a real problem anymore.

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-23-2008 05:13 PM
No Events found!