Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2014 06:00

Merging local disk drives

After creating a back-up for my dell XPS8500, somehow the C: drive is divided into partitions. I reset  the PC to the factory default but the C: drive is not the same as when I first got it (still divided). Now it has C: drive and D: drive ( same primary disk ) . How can I merge D: into C:  ? C: and D: is not next to each other .

Thanks for your inputs. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2014 15:00

Hi Hop Phan,

I assume this is Windows 7. What size is your hard drive and what size are the two primary partitions? If you open the D drive in Explorer, are there any files on it?

7 Posts

December 18th, 2014 17:00

Hi Osprey4,

This is window 8.1 (originally window 8). Hard drive : 1862.89GB (2 GB). When open Disk Management, I can see from left to right the following :

Disk 0 (Basic,1862.89GB) ; 300MB(EOM partition; 99MB (EFI system; (C:) 1395.50GB,NTFS; 450MB (Recovery); 450MB (OEM) and  New Volume (D:) 466.12 GB Primary .

There is no file  in (D:) 100% free .

I need your help to merge (D:) into (C:) that means going  back to the original state of the PC.

If I leave it as is , what is the advantage or in-advantage  compared to the original state ?

Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 06:00

I've never heard of the DBAR utility creating a new partition. So I believe the space now showing as the D partition was there originally, although possibly as unallocated space. You have a 2TB drive with ~1.4TB used by the system partition (C) and 0.5TB as the D drive. However, the spaces are not adjacent so I'm not sure the Windows utility will allow you to delete the D partition and expand C, which is what you would normally do.

Having a separate D drive is actually a good thing. It allows you to maintain data files in a separate location so that they are not impacted in case you need to restore your system partition. So my suggestion would be to leave things as they are. If it's really important to have a single large system partition, I'd suggest using a very well regarded third-party partition management utility.

7 Posts

December 20th, 2014 08:00

Hi OSPREY4,

Originally there is no D: drive . After using Dell back-up , (C:) is slitted into two partitions and D: was unallocated . I used Dispart to create D: . What I worry is the performance like speed etc... of the PC. If it does not effect  the performance then it's OK to me .

I heard that there is 3rd party software like Easeus Partition Master can merge D: into C:  but is the cost of buying it worth in my case .

Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 16:00

This will have no impact on your performance.

7 Posts

December 20th, 2014 17:00

Thanks, OSPREY4,

But somehow I still prefer everything in one drive. So if you know how to do it ,  please show me .

Million thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 21st, 2014 03:00

I already suggested using a very well regarded third-party partition management utility but you did not seem receptive to that idea. So I'm not sure how I can help.

7 Posts

December 21st, 2014 06:00

OSPREY4,

I mean any other way  than  using third-party software because  I don't want to spend quite a lot of money just for that .

Happy Holidays .

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 04:00

I'm sure there are other ways to do this for free. Just do some searching.

Good luck!

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 06:00

Thanks OSPREY4.

Still hope and wait for your help.

No Events found!