Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2009 10:00

My DVD/CD Doesn't Work and I Need To ReInstall Factory Settings

Hey... I have an old Inspiron 8600 that I am donating and I want to get all my stuff off and re-install to factory settings. I couldn't even put in the reinstall cd if i could find it which i can't, nor can i put in one of those "nuke" programs that wipe out everything....does anyone know what I can do?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 5th, 2009 16:00

Hi, scguy47:

Did you try Ctrl-F11? That's the command for the PC restore program.

4.6K Posts

December 6th, 2009 09:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Assuming you can't use Ctrl+F11, the only other option I can think of, is to stick a different hard drive in it, install an OS on it, and get your data off the original drive in your own time?

It might not be ideal, but since you're giving the system away for free, you could just install a Linux OS? 

They're still getting a complete system for nothing after all, so... unless you've specifically told them otherwise...whoever you're donating it to shouldn't expect it to be replete with a Windows OS?

If they'd prefer - or indeed need a Windows OS, it's not unreasonable to suggest they'll have to arrange getting hold of one themselves?

With all that said... if you explain to Dell in the application form that you're donating the system to someone, they may be willing to send you 'backup' discs?

That assumes they can still supply them of course?

Edit:  I've just re-read the thread title!

Does the old system at least have a USB port in it - such that you can install an OS from an external CD/DVD drive?

4 Posts

December 6th, 2009 10:00

thank you...yeah...i'm just a novice and wouldn't know how to install one anyway. the discs wouldn't work anyway because the dvd/cd drive is broken. i was hoping maybe i could use a memory stick or something or maybe even use a program like "nuke" that wipes out everything, but it requires burning a disc after the download and then running the software from it which i can not do either. just wondered if maybe there was a different type program i could download that would wipe out everything. i'm certain they will need the hard drive, but the system is unimportant.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2009 06:00

yes....it does have a USB port.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2009 07:00

If your PC can boot from USB, you can try creating a Windows bootable USB flash drive.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2009 08:00

thanks...how do you do that and will that remove everything currently on the computer?

No Events found!