Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 15th, 2012 02:00

My Hard Drive on my Dell E510 died, and I have to buy a new one. Can I get a Dell E510 recovery CD from Dell so I can install Windows on the new hard drive?

Hi,

My brother has a Dell E510, and his Hard Drive just died.  It says "2 active partitions found" and "no boot device available" on start up.  We tried a factory restore, but then it says "cannot restore".  I switched it with another Hard Drive, it used different types of cords, but the computer booted.  So I am 99% sure that my brother needs a new Hard Drive.  We are in the process of buying on.

My question is, do I have to buy a brand new copy of Windows OS.  They are pretty expensive.

The Dell E510 recovery CD is lost.  We cannot find it anywhere.  I was wondering if there is a way I can get a Dell E510 recovery CD shipped to me from Dell.

Does the Recovery CD for the Dell E510 have Windows XP included in it?

I still have my service tag number and such.

Can they ship one to me?  I do not have warranty anymore.  But I would think they would be able to ship one to me since the Windows XP OS is part of what I paid for.

I will hate for my brother to have to pay for a new HDD and a OS.

PS: You know the numbers on the front panel (1-4), the numbers 2 and 3 light are lit up green when I try to boot, anyone know what that means?

6.4K Posts

May 15th, 2012 04:00

Check the section on Troubleshooting in this document:  E510 Service Manual.  It appears that there is an error report from the hard drive, or from the diskette drive if you have one installed.  The troubleshooting chart has some suggestions you should try.

EDIT:  With regard to the Windows installation disk:  If you live in the U.S. you can use this form to request an installation disk from Dell - Dell Replacement Disk.  If you live somewhere other than the U.S. you will need to contact Dell Tech Support and ask for the disk.  Use the information required in the U.S. form as a guide to the information you will need to give to the Dell representative.  Dell may charge you for this service.

By the way; Dell does not provide recovery disks, only Windows installation disks and occasionally a disk having diagnostics and device drivers.  What does the label on your "recovery disk" state?

No Events found!