Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2013 11:00

My Inspiron laptop has stopped accepting Cd/dvds

I have a 4 year old inspiron laptop. The cd/dvd drive has always worked perfectly. Two days ago it stopped accepting cds/dvds. Now it takes the cd in but then spits it out and never recognizes that there was a cd in it. How can I fix this? I checked the driver properties and it says the driver is working properly.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2013 12:00

support.microsoft.com/.../314060

Windows 7

To resolve this problem on a computer that is running Windows 7, use the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. For more information about how to open this troubleshooter in Windows 7, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Windows Vista

1. Click Start
    Start button
    , and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK.
    User Access Control permission
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer.

2.6K Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Hello Toussatm,

In addition to what Speedstep has said, you may also try the steps mentioned in the article on Troubleshooting CD, DVD or Blu-Ray Drive Issues in Microsoft Windows 7 and see how it goes.

Hope this helps!

No Events found!