Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

July 30th, 2015 03:00

N5110 HDD died I want to replace with SSD

My Hard drive died on me so I cant make an image back up.

I purchased the following SSD after watching a YouTube installation

Samsung Mz-7Td250Bw 840 Series Sataiii Tlc Solid State Drive Ssd 250Gb    

will I be able to use the original installation disk that I got with the laptop?

Will I need to find the drivers for this hard drive?

So, when I replace the drive (and I am aware that it is tedious) can I just boot up and install the os and then the drivers like I have in the past? Or, will I have to find drivers for the new ssd?

thanks,

Michael

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 30th, 2015 11:00

Hi Michael,

Sorry to hear about the dead hard drive. Hopefully, you'll implement some sort of data backup to prevent this in the future.

To answer your questions, yes, you should use the original operating system installation disc to reinstall. Please refer to my link below for an excellent OS installation guide. Yes, you'll need the drivers but they're very easy to find from the Dell support site (link at the top of this page).

Replacing the drive should not be tedious depending on the system. The hard drive is nearly always one of the most easily removed pieces of hardware on any laptop. If you need help, again, go to the support site and download your manual.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2015 13:00

This isn't one of those systems where replacing the hard drive is easy.

< >

It requires an almost complete tear down to get to the drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 30th, 2015 18:00

Thanks for the link. Wow, not very easy at all!

11 Posts

July 31st, 2015 07:00

Guys,

Thanks for the response.  Yea, I  knew going into this that this is a bear of an instillation.  The hard drive is buried under the mother board.  While this will be the first time I have taken this one apart, I have done it with my older Dell's and rebuilt successfully, so I am not timid about the procedure. It will give me an opportunity to clean the fan and do a adhesive repair on the plastic case.  I am ok with that.

Regarding the driver for the new hard drive I purchased, see the specs on the original message, I have two concerns, first, I did not see the link you refer to to go find it.  Second, I am skeptical that I will find the drivers on the Dell site since it is not hardware that came in the system.  It is a Samsung.  I have been to the Samsung site and found firmware and other software for the device.   What do you think?

Thanks,

Michael

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2015 09:00

The Dell recovery media/windows media will have the necessary drivers to load the OS or recover the system.  There's no difference to Windows whether you have a hard drive, hybrid drive or solid state drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 31st, 2015 16:00

Michael,

I'm not sure which link you can't find. The link to the main support site is at the top of every forum page. "Shop", "Support", "Community". Click Support to find your manual and drivers.

No Events found!