Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2008 17:00

NCQ

My Dimension 8400 has a Maxtor 7Y250M0 hard drive.  Can you tell me whether this hard drive supports NCQ?  If it does, how can I enable NCQ on my PC?  And how can I confirm that NCQ has been enabled?

12.7K Posts

April 20th, 2008 01:00

Looks like a No.

It is not mentioned in the specifications anywhere

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/maxline_plus_ii_manual.pdf

283 Posts

April 20th, 2008 02:00

No it does not as stated by mombodog. Maxtor's first NCQ-enabled desktop drive is the DiamondMax 10. Your Maxtor 7Y250M0 is DiamondMax Plus 9.

Ratz

10 Posts

April 20th, 2008 19:00

One more question.  If I get a new hard drive that supports NCQ, will my motherboard support SATA II?  As I said, I have a Dimension 8400.  I think the chipset is Intel 925X Express.  I understand that SATA I only communicates at 1.5 gigabits per second whereas SATA II communicates at double that rate.  I need to know what my motherboard supports so that I can correctly set the jumpers.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 20th, 2008 19:00

Eric88

The 8400 is SATA1.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

12.7K Posts

April 20th, 2008 20:00

" I understand that SATA I only communicates at 1.5 gigabits per second whereas SATA II communicates at double that rate."

not exactly. that is "burst rate" that only lasts for milliseconds.

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/27/there-is-no-such-thing-as-sata-ii-drives-stupid

"no single SATA drive can actually sustain transfer speeds above 150 MB/s"

Sata II drives are backward compatible to Sata I or have a jumper that makes them so.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2008 19:00

So the bottom line is that my Dimension 8400 supports SATA I with NCQ, but not SATA II.  I am looking to buy a Seagate SATA drive.  Therefore, I should not remove the tiny jumper which enables 3Gbit/s.  Right?

Seagate's website installation instructions state that the motherboard drivers should be installed from a CD, DVD if necessary.  Can you tell me whether my motherboard requires any drivers, who is it sufficient to just install Vista?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 21st, 2008 20:00

@Eric88 wrote:

So the bottom line is that my Dimension 8400 supports SATA I with NCQ, but not SATA II.  I am looking to buy a Seagate SATA drive.  Therefore, I should not remove the tiny jumper which enables 3Gbit/s.  Right?

Seagate's website installation instructions state that the motherboard drivers should be installed from a CD, DVD if necessary.  Can you tell me whether my motherboard requires any drivers, who is it sufficient to just install Vista?

Eric88

That is right.

The 8400 motherboard should not need drivers, but the hard drive may.

Please explain 'who is it sufficient to just install Vista?' Are you installing Vista or XP?

Are you intending to reinstall the OS, or image the exsisting hard drive to the new drive, using Seagate's software?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

12.7K Posts

April 21st, 2008 20:00

"So the bottom line is that my Dimension 8400 supports SATA I with NCQ, but not SATA II.  I am looking to buy a Seagate SATA drive.  Therefore, I should not remove the tiny jumper which enables 3Gbit/s.  Right?"

1. Correct

2. No, you will need to jumper/unjumper (what ever the case may be) the drive for Sata I operation if you plan on using it in the 8400.

3. Check with the hard drive manufacturer on how to use Sata II with a Sata I controller, most use auto detection and don't require you to do anything to the drive, plug and play, some do require a jumper setting for Sata I operation.

Here is the Seagate jumper setting

"Can you tell me whether my motherboard requires any drivers, who is it sufficient to just install Vista?"

Vista will have the drivers for the 8400.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2008 23:00

That was a typo.  I meant to ask whether I only need to install Vista or whether I would also need to install drivers.  I have a backup image of my C drive, which contains the OS, on a server.  I can either reinstall Vista or just copy from the backup.  I am probably going to reinstall from scratch.  I did not activate AHCI on the BIOS before the original install so I think I need to start over.
No Events found!