Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2005 21:00

NEC ND-6650A Driver

could someone give me the link to the latest driver for the NEC ND-6650A 8x dvd burner.

i just got this burner as a replacement for my 600m since my sony burner is bad. When i install the burner, the driver date is 7/1/2001. i assume that this is not the latest driver and that i need to update my driver to burn dvd at 8x.

10.9K Posts

August 25th, 2005 00:00

That is the correct driver.  All optical devices use the same
generic Microsoft driver.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2005 01:00

This burnner support double layer but when i check it in dvd-decrypter compatibilities, it said that double layer is not supported with firmware "102c".

I follow a link in dell support for this nec burner, but when i download the zip file and try to run it, it said that my drive is not compatible with this zip software that i've downloaded. apparently, the zip file that i downloaded is for the NEC ND-6500 and not the ND-6650A. Does this mean that there is no firmware yet available that support this nec burner double layer write capabilities?

9 Posts

August 25th, 2005 05:00

NEC web site say:

Q: What would happen if illegal Firmware copies were used?
A: Optical drives are high-precision products. Usage environment and dispersion of parts characteristics will dramatically change performance. To absorb these dispersions and maintain the best performance, unique parameters are set up on every drive at each stage of production. Using illegal F/W copies may change these parameters. In such case, writing and reading performance could deteriorate, even though your drive works normally. We at NEC strongly urge you not to use such illegal copies.

If you really really know what you are doing. Liggy's and Dee's modified NEC firmwares 1.23 http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/disclaimer/6650/

10.9K Posts

August 25th, 2005 07:00

Dell does not yet have a Firmware release for the NEC ND-6650A 8X DVDR/RW Drive.
Check the Downloads on a regular basis until they post it as available.  The use
of any Firmware not Dell tested and approved will void the warranty on the drive.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2005 16:00

thanks for the info. i figure that dell hasn't release any firmware for the ND-6650A, but i wasn't sure about it. i don't know that much about flashing the drive, so i guess i'll wait for the firmware from dell or on NEC website.

14.4K Posts

August 25th, 2005 17:00

since your drive wasn't flashed, it hasn't been damaged in any way by your mistake.

4 Posts

August 25th, 2005 17:00

My last question regarding this issue is that i download the driver that is suppose to flash the dvd burner, but i didn't realise that it was for the ND-6500 and not the ND-6650A since dell list it under the ND-6650A heading. When i unzipped the file and click on the flashing program, it said that it can't flash since i don't have the right dvd burner for this program.

My question is that did i ruin the ND-6650A in any way by trying to install the driver for the ND-6500, even though it seems to be working okay playing dvd but i haven't burn with it yet?

21 Posts

September 9th, 2005 16:00

Please let me know what media is giving you better speed on this NEC ND-6650A. I can only get 2.5x- 3.3x on sony 8x and maxell 8x media.

Thanks in advance
sport
No Events found!