Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 24th, 2006 15:00

Optiplex Gx1 HDD

Hi Everyone:

Im trying to upgrade a Dell Optiplex GX1 HDD but i dont know whats the max size that this computer can support, so if anybody can show me some information on whats its the max and what interface.

9.3K Posts

February 24th, 2006 15:00

Stay below 137GB. if you need larger, get an ATA-100 PCI card.

If you're going to replace the current drive, be sure to set the new drive for cable select, don't use master or slave.

1 Message

March 10th, 2006 03:00

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with a pentium iii.

I want to install a Maxtor SATA 200GB/150 Hard Drive as 2nd or Slave Drive.

How do I know if I have a connector or a card already installed to be able to install a Maxtor L01M200 SATA 200GB Hard Disk Drive and if not, do I have to buy an SATA PCI Card or do I need an SATA/ATA Combo Card ?

Thanks.
Baja

Message Edited by bajacaribe on 03-09-2006 11:56 PM

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 10th, 2006 11:00

The GX1 DOES NOT HAVE Sata connections.
It will not work.
Adding a PCI 32 bit 33mhz SATA card will starve the bus and otherwise be a problem.

7 Posts

April 9th, 2006 13:00

Hello Dev Mgr, I read your post about replacing a harddrive on this machine and to set the jumper settings as cable select vice master/slave. 

I am running WinXP and have a 10gig harddrive I'd like to replace with a 120gig Seagate (Master) and use my 10G as a slave drive.  Do you see anything to prevent me from doing this?

Also, Can you direct me to a link detailing step by step on how to perform this task?  I understand the mechanical connections and such but am a bit unsure of the software settings/selections to make as I do this.  All of my important info is saved and I am ready to proceed.  Boot disk is also ready.

Thanks for your help. 

9.3K Posts

April 10th, 2006 16:00

This shouldn't be a problem. The bios may only show 65536MB, but this is just cosmetic; you can use a 120GB just fine.

The position on the cable determines the drive priority; the end connector is the master and the middle one is the slave. So to make your 10GB the slave, move it to the middle connector and put the 120GB (jumpered for cable select) at the end of the cable and that will make it the master.

Then you have the either reinstall the OS, or use Ghost or so to copy the 10GB partition to the 120 and use that copy of the OS.
No Events found!