Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 6th, 2012 10:00

Partition utility tools

Hello all,

As I mentioned in the How to re-create the DELL Diagnose/Utility partition?  thread, I have recently had to replace my hard drive and would like to recreate the Dell Diag/Util partition.  I have run across several threads that mention tools that i'm ashamed to admit being unfamiliar with.  Could someone please give me more details about such tools as ptedit, ghost, partition magic.....   along with recommendations on which are best/easiet to use and urls where I can obtain them.

Thanks

kev

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 6th, 2012 10:00

detailed description on how to rebuild
the utility partition on a new drive:
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/recreate.shtml
and the complete story of all the partitions here:
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/

9 Posts

December 6th, 2012 12:00

reading www.goodells.net/.../recreate.shtml  was somewhat helpful but left me with new questions.  And I want to be fully informed before I start this process for obvious reasons.  

"Using Dell's Tools to Build a Utility Partition" instructs the reader to run batch file mkup.bat from "x:\upc32\uptools\mkup  ####, where x: is the drive letter assigned to the CD drive and #### is the appropriate version number of the Dell Diagnostics utility for your system."  Followed with the explanation "Note this utility requires a Diagnostics version number, and it will look for that version in the \diags folder on the CD."

Am I correct in assumeing that "A1364A0" in the path CD-ROM:\DIAGS\DIAG32\A1364A0, the only subdirectory in ...\DIAG32,  is the "appropriate version number" of my Dell DIAG. UTIL. SYS?  This is the only folder that contains files in the \DIAGS subdirectory on my cd-rom.  And can you tell me what to expect once I run this command.  "Using Dell's Tools to Build a Utility Partition" doesn't give any details on what this command accomplishes. Is this the only command I have to run to create the diag/util partition? Do I have to copy the CD-ROM to this partition or will this Batch file do this it's self?  Once I run this is reinstalling XP the only other step required?

Thanks for your time and pat

kev

9 Posts

December 6th, 2012 14:00

Asked and answered.

Okay from subdirectory f:\DIAGS\DIAG32\A1364A0 I ran batch file f:\upc32\\uptools\mkup.bat.  The system acted as if it were copying files but fiished with Files not copied and sealing partition or something like that.  It didn't work because a was able to load XP.  I  loaded the disk managment tool and it only showed my XP partition.  So now I see I was wrong to assume that "A1364A0 is not the correct "Diagnostic Version Number".

Can anyone tell me where I can locate this number?  I can't help but think I would be done already if I had used Linux to partition the drive.

9 Posts

December 6th, 2012 19:00

Okay folks this ia what i have tried.  I downloaded something called easeus disk and partition manager.  I was able to move my XP partition which gave me 1gig at the begining of the hard drive. I then created a partition on the 1gig and formated it to FAT16. I marked this partition with a boot flag.  I copied my Dell diag/util cd-rom to the new drive.  When I rebooted and pressed F12 I selected boot from Diagnostic drive.  The computer ignored this and loaded WinXP.  I then marked this new drive as active and hidden and rebooted. when I selected the diags test it listed the following. sata 0 not found;  prim drv 1=listed my HDD. and froze.  When I select boot from util drv it says remove media and push any key to continue. 1) there isn't any media in the cd or usb. 2) pressing any key does nothing. after doing this I couldn't load XP so i have removed the first partition and reinstalled XP on the secondpartition.

I have tried to run MKUP.BAT from the cd but its looking fo a version nember.  Where can locate this number?

I have also tried to use lynux but I don't know what type of partition to select.  it offers the regular MS partitions, a swap partition and a couple EXT##.  I read somewhere about 0x0b and 0xde partitions. what HDD partition mgr. can I download that will help me with this issue.  

9 Posts

December 8th, 2012 02:00

Tell me, what free tool I can get to make a dell utili partition. I can't be the first person that has had this problem.  If this is what dell is about, my next PC will be a Gateway.

No Events found!