Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2005 02:00

Philips DVD 8631 Drive

About two weeks ago I bought a Dell Dimension 4700 with a Philips +- RW DVD drive (DVD 8631). I've been trying for a week to back up my hard drive to a DVD +RW disc without success. The software I am using is Stomp Back Up My PC.

Whenever the software attempts to write to a +RW disc in the drive, I usually get the following error message:

"The current drive is unavailable. It may be in use by another application or shared as a system device. To continue, try shutting down the other applications."

Occasionally I will get a message that instructs me to put a blank disc in the drive, even though there is a blank disc in the drive.

I have downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade for this drive from the Dell website, but the results are the same. I have tried running the software in Safe mode, but again the results are the same.

I thought the problem could be related to the Imation DVD +RW media, so I bought some Sony DVD +RW media, but the results were the same.

I have been able to use the same backup software to back up the hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4400 to the Imation DVD +RW media using an older TDK drive.

I am convinced that the problem is with the Philips drive.

I would appreciate any suggestions to help resolve this problem?

Jerry

15.3K Posts

January 11th, 2005 07:00

Hi Jerry,

If the Stomp software does not require the disc to be formatted, (I am not familiar with it), then try disabling Sonic`s DLA program, it has caused a number of conflicts with other programs.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

5 Posts

January 11th, 2005 14:00

Jeff, thanks for your response.

The Stomp BackUp My PC is based on the Veritas backup software. The software does format the disc before the initial backup.

It is possible that there is a conflict with another program, but, if so, I have not been able to isolate the problem. I thought booting the computer in Safe Mode would avoid conflicts, but the backup still doesn't run even in safe mode.

I have submitted a Trouble Ticket to StompSoft and am waiting for their suggestions.

Cordially,

Jerry

15.3K Posts

January 11th, 2005 16:00

Hi Jerry,

Yes it possible if perhaps you have two Packet Writing programs installed, even more so if it is Sonic`s DLA. Do you know if you have the program or Direct CD or InCD?

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 01-11-2005 09:56 PM

5 Posts

January 12th, 2005 00:00

I do (or did) have a packet writing program installed. I had Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 installed, which includes Drag-to-Disc (formerly DirectCD). I uninstalled the Roxio software and I can now back up to my Philips DVD +-RW drive.

At least I have apparently identified the conflict with my backup software. Now I need to find a way to reinstall the Roxio software without losing the ability to use my backup software.

Thanks for your help.

Cordially,

Jerry

15.3K Posts

January 12th, 2005 01:00

Hi Jerry,

Jim & Mike are our Pro`s on Roxio`s software, but I believe you can do a custom install and choose not to install the Drag to Disc program, see this Roxio KB article:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/emc/ee7000010.jhtml

If I am corrected guys, be nice and don`t quote my post......lol

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

23 Posts

January 16th, 2005 23:00

I have the same drive in my system and it is LOCKING the computer up on reboot.  I get an error on occation that says drive 5 can't be found and in My computer the phillips drive is missing.  I reboot and it is back.  It refuses to allow me to install SIMS 2 on my computer and my DVD movies have intermittent freezing.

1 Message

February 24th, 2005 00:00

I have the same error occurring on an 8400 I received the end of January. 
When I reboot I get the message that drive 5 is missing.  I have not had the other errors.  But now I cannot write to the DVD drive using Sonic.  It will give me a message that there is a DVD error.  If I try to use the disk that was in the drive at the time that Sonic DVD was running it now tells me that the disk is no longer empty.  The disks are HP DVD+R 8x.  It worked the first time, but not the next 3 times.

Message Edited by srgeter on 02-23-200508:23 PM

Message Edited by srgeter on 02-23-2005 08:24 PM

1 Message

April 28th, 2005 16:00

I have been having the same problem you have.  My computer is not able to find my Philips DVD 8631 Drive when i want to burn something.  Looking at other forums it seems like a big problem with no solution.  However, after some tooling around my Philips did start working.  All i did was uninstall all the Sonic Record Now software and then reinstall the COMPLETE version using the Sonic Record Now backup disk that came with my dell.  For some reason after that Sonic was able to find my Philips drive and i am burning a DVD as we speak.  I took the same measures with my other DVD backup software and after reinstalling they also were able to find the Philips drive.  I don't know why but maybe give it a try and see what happens.
No Events found!