Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JP

September 25th, 2013 09:00

Please Help - Acceleration not enabled on my new XPS 8700

I have just purchased an XPS 8700 through the Dell Outlet.  From what I can tell, it is not a Special Edition.  It has 16 GB RAM, 2 TB Hard Drive and a 32 GB SSD card.  It also came with Windows 7 Professional.

I would like to use the 32 GB SSD card as the disk cache for the large 2 TB drive.  However, it appears that the acceleration through the Intel software is not activated.  There is an application for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software but nothing for the Smart Response Technology.  When I go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and go to the Accelerate tab, it tell me that this is disabled.  I can enable it but it doesn't seem to be working.

I admit that I am not real familiar with the Rapid Storage Technology or the Smart Response Technology, but what I have read is that if the 32 GB SSD is set up to be used as a cache, then you won't be able to access it and use it as a drive.  However, then I enable the Rapid Storage Technology Acceleration, I can still use the 32 GB on the SSD as a regular drive.

This brings me back to my question:  I am using Windows 7 and I want to set things up so that the 32 GB SSD is a cache for the large 2 TB drive.  I have no problem reinstalling the operating system or whatever.  I just need some direction.

Thanks for your help,

Jason P.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi Jason,

Tell me what you see in the BIOS under controller mode. Also can you post a screen shot of your Intel RST showing the disc status?

371 Posts

September 28th, 2013 12:00

I'm just learning about this configuration on my new 8700 as well.

I found this helpful.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/

Hope you do too.

D

9 Posts

November 11th, 2013 09:00

I'm having this problem and my BIOS is set to RAID.  I'm running Windows 8.1 with the lastest RST (v12) from Intel and the Accelerate Option is not available.

15 Posts

May 29th, 2017 10:00

Wow, sorry for digging up such an old topic, but this is the same issue I am having with my XPS 8700. This is my second of this model, as the first failed and was replaced under warranty, but as I recall had the same issue. I am running Windows 10, but the system came with 8.1 installed.

In the Intel Rapid Storage application the 32 GB SSD shows status as Available, but under the Performance tab I only see Link Power Management settings.

I've dug through the help available from Intel and it appears that the SATA settings in the system's BIOS need to be set for RAID, which my system is not. I've tried changing the setting, but then Windows refuses to boot at all. I had to toggle the SATA setting back for Windows to boot again.

So my question is, was my system never set up to take advantage of the SSD for caching? The BIOS setting are as they were from the factory, so it appears that the SSD feature was never implemented at all. If I read correctly I can switch SATA back to RAID but then I need to reinstall Windows to get the system to boot, which I would like to avoid, as I did it several dozen times with my first, failed system, and twice with this one, which takes forever as the Dell Backup and Recovery app takes me back to Windows 8.1.

So, can I get this working without a reinstall of Windows? I would like to finally take advantage of the hardware I paid for.

15 Posts

June 5th, 2017 12:00

So no? Topic not being looked at anymore?

No Events found!