Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

October 14th, 2008 20:00

Please Help!

My computer is a little over 6 months old...everything has been smooth sailing until this morning when I tried to boot my computer up. after the inital screen with the dell logo..I get an error screen saying "A Disk Read error Occured Press ctrl alt del"...once i press ctrl alt delete I get the same screen. I've googled the internet for help but haven't been able to find the solution to my problem.  And unfortunately for me, my warranty expired very recently. :*( I am literally crying over this.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 14th, 2008 20:00

Most likely, the hard drive has failed.  To confirm, power on, press F12, load the Dell diagnostics and run the extended test on the hard drive.

If the drive has failed, replace it - though a 6-month old Dell, unless purchased third-party, will still be under warranty - record the error, call with it and they'll replace it under warranty.

October 14th, 2008 21:00

Thanks for the suggestion...I ran the test and I got error code 0142... :( I guess it's time to deal with Dell now..i was hoping to be able to fix this on my own but that doesn't seem possible.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 14th, 2008 21:00

The hard drive needs to be replaced.

No Events found!