Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 10th, 2007 13:00

Primary Drive 0 not Found (Dell Dimension 8300 Windows XP)

Yesterday while streaming videos from my Sony Handycam onto our Dell Dimension 8300 Series w/ Windows XP I got the blue screen telling me to restart the computer. When I did this I ran into the problem "ntoskrnl.exe" was corrupt or could not be found. I was about to fix this with the Windows XP CD when I then got a "primary drive 0 could not be found." Here is what I have done so far... (got this from another post)

• Reboot system and enter the BIOS Setup by pressing F2. 
  • Turn on Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and  Num Lock.
  • Press ALT + E then ALT + F (should hear beep) then ALT + B

Then I got a diskette could not be found error. I then changed that to "not installed" since I don't believe I have a diskette drive. That did not work. I then ran a Dell Diagnostics (IDE Drive Diagnostics). I don't know how well that worked or if I even made it through the whole thing, but here is what it said...

Everything was listed as "No Device" except for the last two

Secondary IDE

Drive 0: *listed my STDVD ROM*- Diagnostics Not Supported

Drive 1: *listed my Samsung Drive*- Diagnostics Not Supported

No Hard Drive Installed

The computer makes a click squeek click squeek noise. If you need anymore information I'll get it. Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2007 17:00

Reseat the data and power cables to your hard drive. If the drive is then not detected, check the condition of the capacitors on the mainboard (can shaped devices clustered around the CPU and the video slot). If any are bulging or leaking, replace the mainboard.

If the drive is not found thereafter, and the capacitors check out, it has failed. Replace it with a new one.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2007 19:00

Tried that and still computer does nothing. Give up all hope?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2007 19:00

@tschapman wrote:
Tried that and still computer does nothing. Give up all hope?

Replace the hard drive.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2007 20:00

Can anyone refer me to information on or if I can transfer digital pictures that I had on my computer to my new hard drive?

edit: Also when I opened it up, I noticed a disconnected cable and one end of a two headed ribbon cable unplugged. I don't know if these should be plugged in, I think they might be there for if I install another CD drive.

Message Edited by tschapman on 07-10-2007 04:37 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2007 20:00

bobjr777

Install the new hard drive, reinstall XP, drivers, applications, AV utility, etc, then all the updates.

When the new HD is working to your satisfaction, install the failed hard drive, as the secondary and see if you can, copy the files required to the new hard drive.

However, if the old drive is unreadable, you may need the services of a data recovery company and this would be very expensive.

You could invest in a copy of SpinRite and see if this utility, can rejuvenate the failed hard drive, allowing you to recover the data.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!