Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2009 06:00

Problem with my two phsical discs

I have two physical discs on my Dell XPS 420 each 500 gb.  MY problem started when Windows 7 came out and I decided to put it operating system on the D drive to try it out thereby creating a dual boot system (Vista and Windows 7)  After trying Windows 7 for a few weeks and ensuring that everything I wanted worked with it I decided to install it on my C drive as my main operating system.  Fine so far - however when I tried to format the D Drive to return it to a data drive Computer Management would not allow me to do this.  I managed to format the D drive using the Partition Wizard program but then my computer would not boot up and gave me an error message saying NTLD was missing.  (I may have these letters quite right as I was a bit panicked at this stage and did not write them down.)

I then reinstalled WIndows 7 on the D drive so was back to a dual boot machine although I used DualBootPro to only boot from the C drive.  Why when I have a complete system and all my programs on the C drive can I not wipe the D drive completely clean as I want to and make it a Data drive?. 

On Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management  my C drive is shown as

Healthy (Boot,PageFile,Active,CrashDump,Primary Partition) and my D drive is shown as

Healthy (System,  Active, Primary Partition)

Can anyone help me?

EstelleD

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 15th, 2009 06:00

Hi, EstelleD:

You'll notice that your D drive is marked as "system", so that's where the OS is looking for the "NT loader", aka, NTLDR.

You have two options. You can move the NTLDR to the C drive. My preference would be to boot to the Windows 7 disc, delete all partitions and just over.

November 15th, 2009 07:00

Hi - thanks for your reply. I still need further help please.

1.  When clean installed Windows 7 on the C drive would it not include this file? 

2.  Where do I find the NTLDR file on the D drive? 

3.  When you say boot from the Windows 7 disc and delete the partitions I am not sure I understand as I have no actual partitions just two physical drives.  The C drive has my Windows 7 which I clean installed and all my programs and data and the D drive currently has another copy of Windows 7 only. 

Thanks Estelled

190 Posts

November 15th, 2009 09:00

copied from another forum, This might help. Those that are smarter then I can tell you if this would work with Vista and Win7

What to do when missing NTLDR and Hal.dll

Talk about bad luck! Reader Fred Peatross has started running into two of the very worst kinds of XP boot errors:

a.. "One of my computers keeps getting the message ntldr missing corrupt file; hit any key. Recently, the message changed to a hal.dll file, either missing or corrupt.

"I can always do a cold boot and go right back into Windows XP. Warm boot doesn't get me into Windows, I get the missing or corrupt file prompt. I thought my hard drive might be going bad, so I purchased SpinRite. Ran SpinRite, and the HD had no errors and was fine. Is this going to come down to a reformatting of my HD?"

Intermittent problems can be among the hardest to troubleshoot. But the simplest thing to do to try to resolve this is to start with XP's Rebuild command. The short form of the fix is as follows:

Step 1. Boot from your XP Setup CD and enter the Recovery Console
Step 2. Enter the command attrib -h -r -s c:\boot.ini
Step 3. Delete the file (del c:\boot.ini)
Step 4. Run bootcfg /rebuild
Step 5. Run fixboot

Those five steps can fix a number of thorny startup issues and may be all you need. But if the above is too telegraphic for you, you can read fully detailed instructions in my InformationWeek article, "XP's Little-Known Rebuild Command." Microsoft's official instructions can be found in "Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console" and "Recovery Console Tools and Settings."

If the Rebuild command doesn't help, you may be able to solve the problem by attacking each error message separately. For example, Kelly Theriot's excellent site has a very complete how-to on the Missing HAL.DLL problem. Also, Microsoft offers "How to troubleshoot the 'NTLDR Is Missing...' error message" and " 'NTLDR is missing' error message when you install or upgrade Windows XP."

Finally, if none of these software fixes work, or if the problem comes back, then indeed you may have a subtle hard-drive problem. It may be related to a marginal power supply, a heat issue, or simple old age (i.e., the drive's actuators are wearing out and functioning erratically).

There's no simple diagnostic for that, but making sure the software is OK is the first step to whittling down the variables you face.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 15th, 2009 17:00

The OS was installed on a drive other than the system drive. 

Boot to the W-7 disc. You'll want to delete the active partitions, one on each drive. Then create a new partition and install W-7 on your preferred drive..

Good luck!

November 16th, 2009 10:00

I have now managed to reformat the D drive using a program called partition wizard.   When I rebooted I got the same error message soI  booted up from the Windows 7 disk and ran repair.  This has fixed the problem and my boot up is fine now.  The only thing that is a bit strange is that in Computer Management the C drive shows as the Boot drive and the D drive (100% clean) shows as the system drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2009 16:00

Glad everything is working!

No Events found!