Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 22nd, 2014 20:00

RAMDISK drive for boot cycle as C:

I just installed a new hard drive on my Inspiron 15R and ran all diagnostics. Everything checks out but when I keep getting a message after inserting the disk with the factory installed drivers that says: "A RAMDISK drive is available for this boot cycle: it contains several Hard Drive setup tools." it tells me to contact DELL support. What do I need to type in the command prompt to load the files?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 24th, 2014 17:00

Hi Suavecito29,

You need to start by installing the operating system. Please use the link below to the OS installation guide, which will help you set up Windows on your new drive.

September 24th, 2014 19:00

I could not find the instructions to install the OS from the cd/dvd. The message on the screen reads:

Your CD/DVD drive during this boot cycle is f:

A RAMDISK drive is available for this boot cycle as C:

It contains several Hard Drive setup tools. Please use these tools only under the direction of Dell Support Staff.

F:\>

What do I do next?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 25th, 2014 17:00

You said you have a Dell drivers disc. You cannot use this to install Windows.

Do you have a Windows disc to install from? If not, you'll need to prepare either a Windows setup disc or bootable USB flash drive from a downloaded ISO containing the install files. Instructions are provided in my link to either.

September 25th, 2014 18:00

I do have a windows disk but I though I must install the Dell drivers before I install windows. After I installed the brand new HD I ran all diagnostics and every thing checked out ok but then I get the RAMDISK message I mentioned before an I can't get passed that. What am I missing here?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 26th, 2014 17:00

Hi Suavecito29,

Perhaps this is the first time you've installed a new hard and been faced with reinstalling Windows. It's really not that difficult. I recommend you click the link I've provided below for a very nice tutorial on how to install Windows.

Good luck!

No Events found!