Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2012 08:00

Replacement hard drive VERY slow

Hello.  I'm a technician at a university.  I've noticed that the past 3 or 4 hard drives that I've replaced have ran extremely slow after the replacement.  These are all under warranty, so the new drives have been shipped from dell.  I am currently imaging the latest on right now.  On any other system it should take less than 45 minutes.  On this one, It's going to take over two days (judging from the last few I've done).  Once the image is complete, the computer will run and function like it normally would, but it will be excruciatingly slow.  

I've put in a hard drive from a duplicate system, and it runs normally.  When I put the Dell replacement drive back in, it goes back to painfully slow.  

I've noticed one symptom common to every computer that I've replaced the hard drive on.  I've imaged all of the drives with Windows 7.  In Windows 7 when you click on an application and the computer is busy, you get a little spinning circle next to the curser.  I've noticed that this circle doesn't spin.  If I move the mouse curser around on the screen, the circle does spin, and the computer seems to respond quicker (still very slow, just not as bad).

I'm at a loss here.  Any advise would be appreciated.

-josh

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 6th, 2012 09:00

Instead of imaging the new drive, do a manual installation using the operating system disk. support.dell.com/.../document

An image made from a bad or used hard drive can be corrupt.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2012 12:00

The image is good.  Over the span of a few months, I've used it to image about 100 systems.  The only ones I've had any problem with have all just had their hard drives replaced with ones provided by dell under warranty.  I should note that this does not happen on brand new dells.  All new computers get imaged, and I don't have this problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2012 14:00

Hi Josh,

It would help if you provide the model numbers of the systems involved. If they are Intel-based chipsets, then you should be running the Intel RST application and you can quickly check if a drive is running in the proper SATA mode. If these are older systems, you can check the IDE data transfer mode in device manager.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 8th, 2012 13:00

May we ask the model number of the hard drives? Are all these hard drives of the same model?  And do they have jumper settings?

If the machines run normally with non-replacement hard drives, that's pointing to an issue with the replacments.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2012 06:00

The one that I am currently working on is an Optiplex 760 (slim).  I know that two of the other ones are the same model.  The last one, I think is the same, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.  I can check today when I visit the building.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2012 10:00

How about the hard drives?

14 Posts

January 10th, 2012 01:00

I know that two of the other ones are the same model.  The last one, I think is the same, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 10th, 2012 10:00

Since they are Intel-based chipsets, then you should be running the Intel RST application and you can quickly check if a drive is running in the proper SATA mode.

No Events found!