Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2013 19:00

Replacing HDD with new SSD on 15R SE (7520). What to do with installed mSATA?

I have a 15R SE (7520) with a HDD and 32GB mSATA already installed.  I'll be replacing the HDD with a new Samsung EVO SSD drive and wanted to know if should remove the mSATA, leave it there and keep IRST enabled, or leave it and disable IRST (just so I don't need deal with the hassle to remove it)?  If I leave the mSATA there, how would it affect the performance of the laptop with the new SSD? Thanks in advance for your help.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2013 10:00

Oh, I forgot to add that I plan to clone the old drive to the new SSD so I won't need to reinstall the windows 7 OS.

September 16th, 2013 13:00

A couple of thoughts.

I don't think that using ISRT from your current MSATA to accelerate a larger SSD would be of much help, unless the new SSD is slow.

If the MSATA and SATA SSD are similar in speeds and using the same bus, then a direct read would likely perform as well as a cached read.

My Inspiron 17R SE shipped with an empty bay. Is that the same on your 15R SE?

If so, I would recommend keeping your 1 or 2 TB spinning drive and add the SSD to the empty bay. That way you could keep the ISRT on to accelerate the spinning drive and add the new SSD and migrate selected directories to the new SSD.

September 17th, 2013 15:00

Therouk

I pulled up the 15R SE 7520 owners manual.  It looks like the smaller chassis does not provide a second 2 1/2 disk bay.

No Events found!