Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 14th, 2008 19:00

Replacing a hard drive on a DM051

The DM051 came with two hard drives, both supposed to be 160 GB. However the drive that was supposed to be used for BU only showed 40 GB in "my computer" and filled up quickly so it was useless as a BU. Also Norton Ghost was such a pain that I stopped backing up!!

However, I now have an external Seagate BU drive that works very well using its own software.

Since the main internal drive in the DM051 is now nearly full I bought a larger internal Seagate that comes with software to clone the whole of the original drive onto the new one and make it the boot drive.

When I took out the old BU internal drive I found it was labelled 160 GB despite functioning for years as if it was only 40 GB!

Then the new 1TB drive installed just fine and is detected but "my computer"only recognizes it as having 40GB!

How can I convince the system that the new drive is 1TB?

1 Message

November 15th, 2008 04:00

Do you have any BIOS upgrades available for this system? I remember older BIOSes used to have a problem with large drives

November 16th, 2008 05:00

According to the Dell Download Center using the service tag there are no BIOS updates.

Here is a better description of the problem:

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 that came with 2 hard drives. According to "my computer" the boot drive is 107 GB and the backup drive is 37.2 GB.

I now have a 1TB external Seagate Free Agent Extreme as backup and that is working fine.

I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 1TB internal HD and planned to use it to replace the 37.2 internal HD and then make the larger drive the boot drive using the cloning software supplied with the Barracuda.

However, when I looked in the Dell cabinet it had two 160 GB drives, according to the labels on them, even though "my computer thought they were 107GB and 37.2 GB!

I managed to change the 37.2 GB for the Barracuda but "my computer" still seems to think it has the 37.2 GB drive in there.

The instructions that came with the Barracuda do not include my scenario - replacing in pre-existing drive. How do I set it up correctly as the D drive, clone the system, programs and files to it and make it the boot drive. I would then erase the current boot drive.
No Events found!