Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2010 15:00

SATA 2.5" HDD connected via USB Windows Password Issues

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with an issue I'm having with an old laptop HDD that I converted to an USB external HDD using a SATA to USB conversion kit:

The HDD is connected and working correctly but as its out of my old laptop I can't access my folders or files as they were locked by the standard Windows XP login password. Do you know how I can remove this password to get access to my files? All shared files are accessible as they weren't password protected and the HDD has all of the original drivers/software on it from my original Dell laptop.

Thanks in advance!

6.4K Posts

July 26th, 2010 18:00

You need to take ownership of the folders.  See this:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

If you are using Windows XP Home you need to perform this task in safe mode; restart the machine, tap F8 before Windows begins to load to get to the advanced start-up menu, and select Safe Mode from the menu.  Open Windows Explorer, right click the folders you need to access and bring up their Properties.  Select the Security tab and find the option for taking ownership.  Once you have done that you should be able to access the data.

No Events found!