Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2017 17:00

SSD drive

Hi all ,I bought a 500 gb samsung 850 evo Sata 3 for my Inspiron 7559 laptop.The main drive( where windows is installed}  is  an M2 ssd. I should have opened up the laptop and checked first..I fear I may have messed up and will have controller issues if I clone the M2 to the 850 evo sata 3. and remove the M2 and place the Evo sata 3 in the empty sata slot. I fear I  I wont be able to boot the machine since it will be in slot one instead of slot 0.Am I correct and will need to send the evo 850 sata back and buy an M2 850 evo instead?Hope I have been cler with my explanation.Thanks for any help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 10th, 2017 04:00

When you make the clone, remove the original disc from the system BEFORE first boot.  As long as you make no other changes to the system (AHCI to RAID or reverse, etc.) the process should work smoothly.

64 Posts

September 8th, 2017 19:00

I think I found my own answer

.".Once you set the BIOS to ACHI or ACPI then the Primary question is no longer an issue. The term Primary is related to the old IDE way of doing things. You had Primary and Secondary or it was sometimes called Master and Slave."

I am already running in AHCI so I should not have a problem booting from the new drive with the old one out.I plan to clone windows over to the new drive.. then clean install once I am sure I can boot to the new drive. Iwill keep the M2 drive as it is and put away in case of emergency..Thanks for looking..

64 Posts

September 9th, 2017 08:00

Can someone that has more knowledge on this confirm that it will work as stated above? .I am starting to prepare for the change and will do it next week.I plan to use either macrimum reflect or easus todo for the clone.Since the SSD is twice the size of The M2 ssd   I wont have a problem with space and partitions..My only worry was the different slot for primary disk.So does it look like I shouldnt be concerned about it?

I do remember the "old days" of setting  master and slave drives and changing pins or changing drive positions in BIOS

.I used Samsungs software on my other laptop and got an unsatisfactory result with the clone.It booted to the new disk (that was swapped into the same slot  and ended up having to put the hard drive which is a slow HDD , 5400 rpm drive back in.) Not sure what went wrong  windows just wasn't running properly.I will redo that one too but also will do a clean install of windows this time.

Thanks for any comments.

64 Posts

September 11th, 2017 14:00

Thank you for replying .That is how I thought it will work.Just a bit nervous and needed a little confirmation..I appreciate the reply..

64 Posts

September 21st, 2017 15:00

Everything went very well and I am now running windows 10 on my new 500 gb Samsung SSD.Thank you for your earlier reply.It was actually a very easy process on my Dell.On my other laptop however I ran into one snag.Device manager still had the old drive name listed yet the SSD was named in the Details tab. There was also a ghost driver for the old hard drive.I read a post that said to remove them both.I first removed the ghost drive ,rebooted then I removed the other entry with windows on it.Rebooted and Device manager is reporting the correct drive. So I am very happy.

February 12th, 2018 00:00

Hi guys,

I am planning on buying 512 gb SSD to replace my 128gb ssd. Could you guys please explain the procedure to clone  my existing to new 512gb ssd. Do i need any cables/ adapter / software.

Thanks

No Events found!