Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2011 10:00

Semaphore time period and other i/o error messages when burning DVD

Hi

Dual boot Vista and XP on XPS420. This post refers to XP but probably applies equally to Vista. I added a second DVD drive this week and had no end of probs getting it recognised by Windows/Device Manager. I have two sata ports free on motherboard and couldn't detect drive with either. The only way to detetct and use the second drive (Lite On ihas124b) is to either unplug the existing DVD drive and use that or use an external sata device (usbpro). I use the latest version of Image Burn and have never had a problem burning ISO images with this.  If I plug the Lite On into the only apparently working sata the burn process freezes during "Writing Lead in" and I eventually get an I/O error referencing sectors 384-415 and the interpretation is "Write address invalid for write".  If I use my usbpro I get "Semaphore time period has expired"......

I've done some research and know it's somehow related to hardware and drive/driver communciating with PC. I just wondered if there were issues with this PC and mulitple DVD Drives. Knowing my luck there is!

Should also add that I'm using the Rolls Royce of DVD media Verbatim 2.4 made in Singapore.

Thanks for your time.

Simon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2011 14:00

The first thing I would suspect is a problem with the new drive and/or the SATA Data Cable.  Does the BIOS (F2 Setup) detect and properly detect the new drive?  If the BIOS does not detect it, Windows will not detect it.

One thing to try is to install (reinstall) the Intel Motherboard Chipset Drivers.  One of the prime thing the chipset drivers do is setup (and define) all the devices on the motherboard, including the SATA controller.    Chipset Driver Download    Install the chipset drivers, Shut down the PC, connect both the original and new optical drives. Power back up and check the Setup (F2) to see if it's recognized (and properly) by the Setup.  If not, power back off, switch data cables between the two drives, power back up and check in the Setup agin to see what is detected.   If the new drive is still not detected it would suggest it's defective.  If the new one is detected OK and the original drive is not detected either the SATA data cable or SATA port is the problem.  In this case, first thing, try another open SATA port and see what happens. If it comes back to the motherboard - obviously it will need to be replaced to do what you want.

December 3rd, 2011 16:00

Many thanks for this comprehensive response. It just bugs me that many people are still using XP with Image Burn and some of those will be dual booting. However, I seem to be the only one that is having these I/O errors.

No Events found!