Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2008 16:00

Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615S Driver

Seasons Greetings everyone!!

A very good friend of mine had  bought a new comp from Dell a few months back and was nice enough to give me his old Dimension C521. He also gave me the reinstalation disks. Problem is.....THE DVD-ROM DRIVER IS NOT WORKING!!! I phoned up Dell but they want me to pay $69.95 for a driver. Can anyone help me with a link for a free compatable driver for my Sony DVD-ROM DDU1515S drive? It is a 16x SATA Disc Drive. I have found several drivers that match my CD Drive but none will work for it is the whole "Dell Only Drivers" thing that is buggering me up. So if anyone can link me a place for the driver I need for FREE. That would be great. Or if anyone knows a link that I can download a "FULL WORKING COPY" of Driver Detective to do it for me. (Wink wink nudge nudge if you know what I mean. I barely make enough money to pay my ISP. So this is my other main problem. I need a driver fix and I have no money. Gotta love the Christmas holidays.) I really need to reinstall windows XP as this computer was sitting in my friends closet collecting defrag dust bunnies. But I can't get the DVD rom online. It opens, it closes. The green light blinks a couple o times and then just stops. I get driver error messages. And also when I click on "My Computer" Icon the cd drive icon does not appear there. PLEASE HELP ME!! I know how to do all the rest of what I need to bring this computer back to the speed it should be. I just need a Driver for my Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615S to do it. Its a 16x SATA (Thats almost French to me.)

10.9K Posts

December 20th, 2008 17:00

Look in the Device Manager .........

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Right-click the drive and select Properties.
Is there an Error Code (number) present?

4.6K Posts

December 21st, 2008 06:00

Skybird's response isn't a 'solution' though.  It's just enabled you to find out what the problem is - not how to fix it :emotion-2:

It's likely to be the (now quite common) upper/lower filters issue?

So try following the 'How to fix Code 39 error' advice offered here, to see if it helps?

4 Posts

December 20th, 2008 20:00

Yes it says (Code 39)

4 Posts

December 21st, 2008 07:00

Thank you for the great help Skybird. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} in the Regedit. If you could help me with little part, I think I can handle the rest. The link you provided me was excellent. It was very clear understandable instructions as to how to fix this issue. I just couldn't figure out how to nav to that hotkey locale.

10.9K Posts

December 21st, 2008 18:00

Here is a picture ..............

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=106

and if you are using XP, you can run the utility below the picture.

4 Posts

December 21st, 2008 19:00

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

SKYBIRD you are da man or woman which ever the case maybe. You are the computer GOD!! Thank you for saving me $69.95!! That link you had sent me was perfect. My problem was that my regedit looks a little different than the one in the picture but I certainly found it. I did all what was stated there.....and low and behold......I NOW HAVE A DVD ROM AGAIN!! (Insert me bowing to your holyness). If I have any more problems I know who I am definatley calling upon. Do let me know if you happen to work for Dell. If so let me know who I send a Compliments Email to. You did in 10 mins worth of emails what would have taken me a very long time to achieve. Or pay Dell 70 bucks for 3 days worth of worth. Thank you again Skybird....YOU ROCK!!

10.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2008 05:00

Glad it worked.  Keep the solution available as this problem is fairly common.

I do not work for Dell.  I am a User like you who likes to help other Users.  Best Regards.

No Events found!