Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2007 06:00

Sony DVD RW DRU-710A can't ead DVDs

I got Sony DVD-RW DRU-710A on Dell Dimesions 2400 (Windows XP, P4).

This drive used to read DVDs before, however out of blue it stopped working. It does not read DVDs but reads CDs fine.

So far:
1) I have tried suggestions about getting read of lower/upper filters from registry.
2) I have updated firmware from sony website.
3) I have uninstalled drive and restarted again.
None of this helped.

Do not recall installing recently other than Google Picasa. I know this type of issue have been pest on many forums, but would appreciate any help, as none of the suggestions seems to be working.

Gene_trics

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2007 10:00

Run the diagnostics on the drive. Boot to the diagnostic partition (F12) and put a data CD-ROM disc in the drive. It must be a data CD-ROM disc.

14 Posts

April 28th, 2007 06:00

@osprey4 wrote:
Run the diagnostics on the drive. Boot to the diagnostic partition (F12) and put a data CD-ROM disc in the drive. It must be a data CD-ROM disc.

Sorry for late reply..

Are you suggesting booting up from a drive with problem using data CD-ROM? I did run dignostic using some software from sony- it failed but did NOT tell me any further steps to resolve it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2007 14:00

Ok, let me explain a bit more clearly. When you boot your computer, you'll see two options in the upper right hand corner when the blue Dell logo appears, F2 for system setup and F12 for the advanced boot menu. Select F12 and then the diagnostics option. Run the diags on your CD drive with a CD-ROM disc in the drive.

14 Posts

April 29th, 2007 06:00

I tried running IDE diagnostics using option 4 after pressing F12 during boot. I had a data cd (with zip file and other folders) in the drive with problem ( I do also have another Cd-RW drive). I get the message- Drive 0: WDC WDC400BB-75FRA0

Not sure what it means.

Message Edited by Gene_trics on 04-29-2007 02:29 AM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 29th, 2007 10:00

That refers to your hard drive. Again, you must use a data CD-ROM, not CD-R, CD-RW, audio or DVD disc.
No Events found!