Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2008 16:00

Vostro 1500 and Mtron SSD

Hello,

I have my Vostro 1500 (T7100, 8600GT, XP SP2) since August 2007. I bought a SSD from Mtron (MOBI3000, the exact ref is MSD-SATA3025-032) and have a reliability problem with the Vostro...

My first use was after cloning the system partition from the HDD to the SSD. At this time I had the BIOS A01.

Problem occured only 2 or 3 times :

The Vostro suddenly freezes for a few seconds, shows a BSOD and instantly reboots. At the reboot I have a message saying no HDD has been found during POST. I just need to turn off then on the Vostro, everything goes well.

I have seen a BIOS update, I updated to A02.

I also started to maka a clean install of the Vista Business I received with the Vostro. Impossible to install!

While copying the files, the installation hangs up, HDD LED stays lit (could be after 5% or 85%) and says it is not possible to copy files to the disk...

For checking if the SSD or the VOstro is faultly, I tried this :

1) installing the SSD in a Thinkpad T61, install Vista, let the system idle for 24h, no problem

2) reseat a HDD into the Vostro, install Vista, let the system idle for 24h, no problem

I also tried the SSD into my desktop computer, cloning sytem part, worked for a week without problem.

I also tried the following trick after update to BIOS A05 : start install Vista on Thinkpad, let the files being copied, when system restarts, I shut it down, put the SSD into the Vostro, finalise install => hangs up after env. 20 minutes.

Tried to install XP or a Mandriva, same thing as for Vista : install hangs up while copying... And now, whatever the OS I clone, hangs up after 20 minutes...

I could use the SSD into my HTPC, but 90MB/s read, could be nice (and silent!) into the Vostro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : I tried ATA and AHCI, and every HDD noiseetting, nothing changes...

336 Posts

February 26th, 2008 23:00

Im going to suggest all would work fine in AHCI mode with Vista.  You are trying to get a Mtron which is intended to be used with AHCI working with XP where, at the best of times, slipstreaming drivers and trying to get AHCI working is like pulling your teeth out.

6 Posts

February 27th, 2008 04:00

Hi,

thanks for the answer. The fact is, when I set the BIOS in AHCI and start the Vista installation process, the system is very slow ( something like 10 minutes before I come to the very first screen, where you choose language) and hangs up anyway.I imagine even if I slipstream my Vista with drivers, it will not change anything for the install failure?
However, I agree the fact I have to switch to Vista, just a bit lazy to change my habits.

336 Posts

February 27th, 2008 09:00

I have been mulling this over and wonder how long you have had the Mobi...  Is it possible to exchange?  I havent encountered it yet with any drives, and as you can see below I have tested them all, but maybe you have a defective drive.

336 Posts

February 27th, 2008 11:00

Ummm you haven't done that yet?  That is the most common reason why it stops at a certain percentage with Vista.

I have advised 2 others in the last day at notebookreview.com about this.

Start the installation with MediaDirect and when you come to the screen that asks you what partition to install Vista, click 'install drivers' lower left and direct it to your usb.  It will prob recognize tw drivers but you are interested in the one with the word 'HDMI' on it.

I find it best to download the AHCI driver from Intel onto a USB as it is most compatible presently with all systems.

EDIT... Don't worry we will get you through this even if I have to forward it to Mtron for advise and thoughts.

Message Edited by flamenko on 02-27-2008 07:53 AM

6 Posts

February 27th, 2008 11:00

I already exchanged the drive... same thing. And it (the new one) works perfectly with my two other machines.

I runned 3 HDtach in loop on the desktop PC without problem, for example (and with the correct values).

Does it comes from a power aspect, from SSD firmware, from Vostro, I don't know.

They work perfectly, except together...

I can give one feeling, but it's just a feeling : it looks like the Vostro and the SSD have some "misunderstanding"

after a short time. The Vostro cannot access the SSD anymore, and I have to completely cycle power. soft reset doesn't work.

The short time is always the same under Vista, 20min, maybe +/- 1min. While intalling Vista (or XP, anyway), it fails randomly after 10% or 80%, no matter for how long it worked before. I tried also 5 times to install Vista without letting the system to have a rest, just to check if it goes worse when conmponents are warm, no influence.

The only facts are :

HDD LED lits (doesn't blink) for one minute, the system hangs up. after a soft reset (Vista reset automatically, installation give an error message and asks you for reset) the BIOS says no bootable device found. A power cycle solves it (for short time).

this evening I will try to turn on AHCI settings and install Vista with "Intel Matrix Storage" drivers on an USB stick. Let's see what happens.

Many thanks for your care and the help you are providing. I hope I will not have to worry you too long.

6 Posts

February 27th, 2008 15:00

I made that, first with BIOS setting on "ATA" => hangs up
With "AHCI" very slow, more than 10 minutes to start install, never gave the driver from USB.

For more information about Mtron, the first Mobi I had was in a metallic grey housing, the new one has the standard white plastic housing for Mobi. No problem for me if you ask them.

I stop my laptop right now, time for me to start tests.
I would be ashame it is just a driver problem...

6 Posts

February 27th, 2008 16:00

I'm already back... Means bad news.
Here's what happens.
First, with a standard HDD, in AHCI mode, Vista sees the disks without requiring driver...
Now, with the SSD : I have to wait about 10 minutes, just having the green boxes scrolling, then the first dialog boxes appeared. No disk found, with or without extra drivers!
A soft reset tells me the same painfullymessage "no bootable xxxxxxxxx Please try to reseat the drive"
The only good point is I was not filling a thread with a driver question 10.000 times answered.
The bad point is... It doesn't work.:smileysad:
I'm asking myself where I could find old BIOS to downgrade, just for checking...

6 Posts

February 27th, 2008 17:00

The last test I did was with the Thinkpad T61 I have at work...
I let Vista at idle a few hours after completing the drivers install, no problem.
What amazed me is the T61 is configured for AHCI and the Vista install runned without any problem.

It smells like the two devices are not compatible... Either I start a devilish loop between Mtron and Dell, either I use this SSD in my HTPC... Downtown driving with a Porsche 911!
The only answer I had from Dell is I have to give a phone call to their service, of course with a taxed number. Not sure it could be useful...

Anyway, I would like to thank you for the help and time you provided me.

336 Posts

February 27th, 2008 17:00

And you said that the ssd works in other systems?

This leaves me without a thought.

Sorry.

No Events found!