Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2012 08:00

What are the SATA specs for DIM 8400

I have a

Service Tag:      Change Service Tag
System Type: Dimension 8400
Ship Date: 2/25/2005

I want a new HD 1 option is to buy from Dell is a "WD" Western Digital 1T black HDD.  I am looking at the "WD"  WD15EARX  which is a SATA6 1.5 Tb HDD.  I know I will not get SATA 6 performace but they have jumpers to make it compatable with SATA 3.

1.  Is this drive compatable - 1.5 TB with 64 mg cache slowed to SATA3? 

2. Since it would be SATA 3 and has (64meg cache) will it preform faster than my OEM SATA?

a. by roughly how much faster?

3.  Can I buy a SATA6 PCI? card and install to get SATA 6 performance?

4.  Trying to save my existing drive I deleted & Formatted 2 partions on the DEM 8400 - (STUPID is not harsh enough for what I did) yea go ahaed and laugh and have fun at my expense!  Anyway where do I get the software and how do I reinstall the utility software on the utility partition?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 25th, 2012 12:00

Hi Ronabramson,

The Dim 8400 is first generation SATA (1.5 Gb/s). While newer SATA standards are supposed to be backward compatible, that's just not the case. Pretty much all the second generation SATA drives will work but not all the SATA III drives will work on an SATA I controller. A PCI controller card might be your best bet.

As for putting the utility partition on the drive, this is really more trouble than it's worth. It's just as easy to use your drivers and utilities disc, or a bootable flash drive loaded with the diagnostics. I keep an old 256MB flash drive just for that purpose.

No Events found!