Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2015 07:00

XPS 2720

I am about to receive a Dell-refurbished XPS 2720 with 32GB SSD and 2TB HDD. It will be running 8.1 and is supposed to come with a disc. I would like to add a much larger SSD, either 256 or 512GB. Since it will come to me "clean", with no use or data accumulation, I want to get this done before I start using it.

Is there a detailed step-by-step guide available for this change?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 30th, 2015 12:00

Hi Tombigbee,

I assume the 32GB SSD is actually an mSATA drive, which is used as a cache to speed up the system. But using this setup, the operating system will actually be on the 2TB drive. This setup employs the Intel Rapid Start utility built into the BIOS.

You have the option to upgrade the mSATA SSD and install the operating system onto that drive, then use the 2TB drive just for data. You need to disable Rapid Start, then you'll be able to see the new mSATA drive when you go to install Win 8.1. Alternatively, you can clone the HDD to the mSATA drive.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2015 08:00

I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Using a larger mSATA with 8.1 (or now maybe Windows 10) installed, and then the 2TB for data is exactly what I had in mind. However, I'm a real amateur and don't know how to disable Rapid Start, or perform other operat ions necessary to make all this work.

Would you know if there is a source for a step-by-step guide intended for idiots like myself?

Thanks again.

15 Posts

August 14th, 2015 03:00

I'm currently using a 256GB 2.5" Samsung Evo Plus SSD as my primary and 256GB mSATA as my secondary. I didn't do any tweaking for the Intel Rapid Start program. You can manually disable and uninstall it I guess first to be sure. I didn't have any problems with mine..

No Events found!