Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2012 16:00

XPS 8500 - what to order for 2nd HDD

I just picked up an XPS 8500 at Costco.  I would like to add a 2nd HDD, probably another 2TB.

What do I order?  Is OEM okay or do I need a kit? 

I was thinking of WD Green, 7200 rpm.  Any thoughts on this? 

Is this some I can do or do I need to bring the system to place like the geek squad to install the drive.  I have done installations before when I opened the case in Costco it was not obviously where drives would attached the metal framework?  Any youtube installation videos out there?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 19th, 2012 19:00

Nature Fotor

Any internal, 3.5", 7000rpm, 2TB SATA  hard drive can be installed in the XPS 8500, the WDC Green version should work fine.

You will need to buy a SATA data cable, there should a spare SATA power cable and connector inside the case.

After install the drive, check in the system setup, that it is recognized and for windows to recognize the second hard drive, it must be patitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter, using Disk Management.

You will also, need 4 x 6-32X1/4, phillips head screws to attach the hard drive to the hard drive cage.

More details in PDF form, for installing a XPS 8500 secondary internal SATA hard drive, are here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps8500/en/om/om_en.pdf

Bev.

No Events found!