Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2005 21:00

hard drive file transfers...

currently have dimension 4400, 40gb drive with windows XP home
purchased dimension 8400, 80gb drive with windows XP home
how to unload or transfer(for lack of the correct words)....ALL files,programs,etc,
 from my current 4400 drive to my new 8400 drive
thanks in advance for help

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 10th, 2005 21:00

If you have a network card in each, you can connect them that way. Or, you can remove the old hard drive and temporarily install it in the new system, and copy your data files.

Program files cannot simply be copied. Most likely, you'll need to reinstall them on the new system from the original distribution media.

There are some programs that can migrate installed programs to new systems - they're anywhere from a few percent to about 30% effective - many programs are so large and so pervasive, that reinstallation is the only way - not only do files have to be moved, but registry entries have to be remade.

Plan on reinstalling the programs from original media.

20 Posts

February 12th, 2005 02:00

I have recently used Detto Intellimover to transfer my data from my ME computer to this one.  It worked well, and did so in what I thought was pretty reasonable time, approx. 1 hour .  This included Outlook Express data, and hundreds of music files, including Musicmatch Downloads

Dimension 8400
XP Pro
1gb DDR RAM @ 533mhz
Radeon X300 128 mb video
SB Audigy 2
17" flat panel
Separate 16x DVD & DVD writer drives

3.2K Posts

February 12th, 2005 11:00

You can use the XP Files and Settings Transfer (FAST) wizard to create an image of your files and settings and save to cd or other removable media.  As said earli9er, you will have to install your programs on the new system to have them run correctly.

This is a good guide to using the FAST wizard. Just be sure you have an up-to-date antivirus before you re-instate them!
No Events found!