Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 8th, 2018 07:00

howto clone data from internal HDD to new internal M.2 SSD

I have a Dell Inspiron 17" (5770) which cam with Windows 10 Pro and a 1TB HDD.

It is sooooooo slow. I figured it must be the hard disk as I can hear it constantly clicking away.

Anyway, I decided I wanted a M.2.SSD NVMe and purchased a Samsung 970 EVO (500GB). I want to use this as the primary startup drive for the OS and apps. I will either keep the 1TB drive or put in an older Samsung 850 1 TB drive I have (probably the latter).

So I effectively want to replicate the contents of the internal HDD to the new M.2. SSD. Can I do that by just installing the M.2. SSD and copy the files directly. What tool would I use?

I think I read that cloning would be bad for SSDs and backup/restore might be the better option? But want about formatting of various partitions, etc?

If I can't do that directly, is best to copy/clone/backup the files from the internal HDD the an external 850 SATA SSD, then install the M.2. SSD and somehow copy/clone/restore the information. Presumably by booting off the external drive?

This must be a common procedure. I just want to know what the recommended way is so nothing goes wrong Smiley Happy

Thanks, Brendan.

18 Posts

June 21st, 2018 08:00

17 Posts

June 28th, 2018 02:00

Give a try with some disk cloning utility, check this guide and it helps.

No Events found!