Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2004 03:00

inspiron 600m

i called tonite to tech support because on starting my computer it says no hard drive found.

dell is sending me a new hard drive.first question is will an operation system already be installed along with all programs and drivers it came with when i purchased the computer 2 months ago.

2nd. could the problem also be with the motherboard instead of the hard drive?

3rd. the faq says to remove the optical drive and see if the problem persists. what is the optical drive?

4th the hard drive is making a loud clicking/tapping noise so is this a sign of a bad hard drive?

how do hard drives go bad if this is the case. can they overheat or what?

greg

4.4K Posts

They may load it for you and have it ready to use and if they do, all the better.  This is just not the normal routine.

If it isn't loaded, just boot from the CDROM (or DVD) using the WinXP CD and then you can proceed to partition your hard drive, format it and load Windows.  I suggest this site for instructions on how to do this
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

You can download the drivers for your machine by going to the "download" tab above and follow the instructions.  You should have a utilities CD that came with your computer.  That will have the drivers on it.  But to make sure you have the latest, I suggest that you download them from Dell.

The Windows XP CD you have is a Dell OEM version of it.  When you boot using the CD, it will check that you have a Dell system and if it recognizes your system as a Dell, it will bypass the "activation" and allow you to install the OS.  Note, activation and registration are not the same thing.

4.4K Posts

@gregftl wrote:

i called tonite to tech support because on starting my computer it says no hard drive found.

dell is sending me a new hard drive.first question is will an operation system already be installed along with all programs and drivers it came with when i purchased the computer 2 months ago.

No.  Normally it is a blank hard drive and you will have to load the OS and programs back.

2nd. could the problem also be with the motherboard instead of the hard drive?

Not usually with the problems that you are describing below

3rd. the faq says to remove the optical drive and see if the problem persists. what is the optical drive?

The optical drive your your DVD, CDROM or CDRW.

4th the hard drive is making a loud clicking/tapping noise so is this a sign of a bad hard drive?

That would be my guess.  You could run the Dell Diagnostic program to verify this.

how do hard drives go bad if this is the case. can they overheat or what?

greg

Message Edited by Bay Wolf on 02-19-2004 11:37 PM

61 Posts

hmm..odd, the tech support person said the new hard drive would be already loaded with windows xp and all the programs it had on it since i am under warranty. said it would come as "factory installed"

just wanted to get a 2nd opinion from this forum.

so if it isnt loaded. can i use the windows xp cd that came with my inspiron that i purchased two months ago and are all drivers on there too because i dont have a drivers cd. i am wondering because i know microsoft is cheap and only lets u install one windows cd on one computer and if u register is the product key wont work on another hard drive.

greg

61 Posts

i didnt think that u could install the same windows xp cd on two different hard drives...esp after u register it.

i'm thinking this because a year ago when i went out and bought windows xp home edition.....i had 3computers and could only intall it on one. then called microsoft and the cheapies told me i had to go out and pay for 2 more lol

greg

4.4K Posts

February 20th, 2004 04:00

As I noted, register and activate are two completely different things.  Registration is purely optional.

I am now running a larger hard drive in my notebook of which is not the original hard drive.  I booted from the WinXP CD, it checked for a Dell BIOS, I installed the OS.  It never asked me to activate it.  It did ask me to register it but I just skipped that.

The BIOS check routine only works when you boot from the WinXP install CD.  NOTE:  For it to work like this, it has to be a DELL OEM WinXP CD.  Not a retail CD. 

Should you boot from the floppy drive and then install the WinXP OS, then you will have to activate it because it could not run the BIOS check routine.

The CD that you bought was a Retail version of the OS and not an OEM.  The OEM version from Dell can only be installed on the computer that the OS came with.  And as you suggested, you could not install the retail version on more than one system.

61 Posts

February 20th, 2004 17:00

my system is still under warranty i just got it two months ago and i think the tech said because of the time limit that the would be installing the software before they ship it. anyway. the hard drive shipped today next day air and here is a rundown of what was included. sure looks like they installed all the software

Parts Information Pertaining To This Service Call
Part Number Description Quantity
9X199 SUBASSY, Hard Drive, 30GB, Small Form Factor, EUCL, 600M 1
50195 Information, Software, NTWS, V4.0, New Technology File System, Factory Install, England/English 1
6U703 Attention, HDD WITH IMAGE 1
0U178 Service Charge, Software, Utilities, Utility, Inspiron, 600M 1
0X539 Service Charge, Operating System, WXPHSP1, 128, England/English 1
0Y701 Service Charge, Software, WXP-W2K, DMA-ENABLE-XLOB 1
0Y859 Service Charge, Driver, Modem Daughter Card, BCM94154M, Inspiron 1
0Y860 Service Charge, Diagnostics, Modem Daughter Card, BCM94154M, Inspiron 1
0Y861 Service Charge, HyperText Markup Language, Modem Daughter Card, BCM94154M, Inspiron 1
1T855 Service Charge, Software, Windows XP, 3RD-TIME-FIX 1

and i did call to ask about the "service charge" notations.......and they told me i am not being charged

greg

4.4K Posts

February 20th, 2004 22:00

That's excellent.  This would make it a lot easier for you.

February 21st, 2004 13:00

greg, if you will be getting a preloaded hard drive, usually Dell only sends it as a one-time deal for customer satisfaction (i suppose that your warranty is still within 30 days). so if your hard drive crashed again, then you'll get a blank hard drive the next time

61 Posts

February 23rd, 2004 22:00

ok...i got my new hard drive covered by warranty today from dell. all the software was loaded took about 30minutes for it to setup. now....i have an inspiron 600m.  but when i go to control panel....system properties and under the "general tab" that shows your operating system, ram, etc it says "dell optiplex 600m" ...intel pentium m processor 1.4 ghz.  "optiplex"??? what's up with that?? does anyone know

thanks

greg

No Events found!