Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2015 15:00

optical drive/dvd drive making noise without any disc inside

hi, I have recently purchased a dell inspiron 3543. every 20/30 minutes there is noise from the optical drive as if something is trying to read from it. the light also blinks during that time, inspite of the fact that there is nothing inside the drive. please help.

1.8K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi,

It sounds like some software (whether it's Windows, etc.) is trying to access / look for data on that drive.  Can you correlate the time this happens to any software application that may be running, even if its in the background?  The light would blink, meaning the optical drive is being accessed, even if there isn't a disk in the drive.

Have you tried inserting a disk into the drive and then removing it?  See if that "resets" the drive.  If not, you can try removing the optical drive and then putting it back in to reseat it.  Not really sure that is the issue but you can try it.   Here is a link to the online manual for the Inspiron 3543.  On page 18 you can find information on how to remove / replace the optical drives.  

Honestly though, to me it seems like some software is trying to access some data, and for some reason thinks that data is on your optical drive and not your hard drive.  Perhaps some software or games you installed off a DVD or CD?

Todd

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Killeryo,

Hard to tell if this is a hardware problem with the drive or some application trying to scan the drive. Two things you could check. First, make sure Windows drive indexing is not trying to scan your optical drive. Second, make sure your security software is not trying to scan this drive.

If both of those are ok, I would call Dell and ask tech support for help.

January 31st, 2022 19:00

i also faced this problem, it could be the low voltage problem of your charging adopter. My cd rom was also making such kind of noises without any disc. Check your charging adopter first otherwise the ram and rom of your pc will blow.

No Events found!