Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2013 10:00

second hard drive

I have a 64 bit Vostro 470 with a 500GB-7200RPM,SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache hard drive. I want to add a second drive. Can I add a larger drive 1TB to 2TB? Can the drive be a SATA 6.0Gbs with a larger Cache? Will I get the benefit of the faster speed?

Is there a way to find this information on my computer. I can't find detail regarding the slot.

Thanks for your help.

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

I see it in the system tray. Thanks for your help.:emotion-21::emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 29th, 2013 15:00

Hi Houseforsale,

Yes, you can add a second drive. Any desktop (3.5") SATA drive will work. Any size will work as long as your Intel RST application is up to date. Yes, the drive can be SATA 6.0 Gb/s with a larger cache, but rotational drives are inherently much slower than the SATA controller, so you will not see any speed difference.

If you upgrade your system drive to an SSD, then you would see a significant speed improvement. But that would require reinstalling the operating system, and keeping your current drive for data and applications.

December 1st, 2013 14:00

Hi Osprey 4.

I'm new to this site and I've had difficulty getting back to this Post. Thank you for your response. It was helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by "Intel RST Application." How do I check it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2013 16:00

Intel Rapid Storage Technology

This application works with your hard drive controller for better performance. You probably already have it installed. You'll see an icon in the system tray for it.

No Events found!