Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2010 16:00

windows xp will not detect disk

I have a dell dimension 8400 with st3160023as sata drive (160gB)! 

I am trying to install a st380013as sata drive (80gb)!

I cannot get computer to detect the hard drive!  I know data cable and power is good as I have swapped both and have tried different sata ports!

Seagate says if it will not spin up, even their disk test software will not help!

I know it is possible this disk is bad but it was purchased used from a reputable place as good!

I have a new drive on order but still would like to get this one runing if possible!

Bios is ao5! I realize out of date- system was just put back to original specs but this should not keep from installing second drive

Any thoughts, suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 23rd, 2010 18:00

john-allen

Are you trying to install the 80gb Seagate HD, as a replacement primary C:/ drive, or as an additional [Secondary] hard drive?

Bev.

118 Posts

May 23rd, 2010 19:00

Hi Bev: Thanks for taking time to reply!

I want to clone my 160gb hard drive (Currently at system restore with factory settings) to a 80GB hard drive using the segate cloning wizard (seagate to seagate)

Then I plan to remove the 160gb hard drive at least temporarily and make the 80gb hard drive my primary drive!  If I "fool around with windows 7 and etc., I do not want to corrupt my original hard drive in any way!

Since I posted this, I have another issue you might can address! According to Dell spare parts, etc. ddr2 800 mhz memory should work!  I purchased to 1gb sticks from a amazon.com seller (Dell product though- genuine)

I tried to install it tonight!  I found that dimm slot 1 recognizes the original dell memory pc4200 or the new dell pc6400 but dimm 2 is no longer recognized!  Perhaps it was that way before and I did not realize it- not sure!  I know all the memory sticks are ok as I "routed" each one thru dimm slot #1. Tried to put stick in 1, 2, and 3 to see if dimm 3 was recognized!  Computer did not like that so I removed dimm 3 stick and now have two sticks installed, only one recognized!

It is almost like I have a failing motherboard!  All led's show green and windows xp loads fine!  System came with bios a05 and windows xp service pack 2!

I have service pack 3 but have not installed after restore!

Do not understand RAID, do not know if it is affecting the hard drive issue or not!  Apparently there is a raid 0 and raid 1 option on this computer!  Do not know anything about that yet!  Is that part of problem potentially?

Thanks for support!

No Events found!