Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2008 02:00

How monitor VMs - Host agents or CMA?

Hello,

we had our first migration from physical to virtual last weekend. 30 Servers were migrated. So now I have all this Windows VMs in ECC, but just infos about there NIC, snapshots and their virtual disk. We are using ECC 6.0 with latest version for agents.

So now we are thinking about monitor our VMs with ECC especially their disk utilisation. Is it better to install on all VMs own Master + Host agent or using one dedicated VM for Common Mapping Agent to get this information by this proxy host? So only SYMAPI monitoring package have to be installed to this clients and no agents.

Regards,
Andreas

Message was edited by:
Andreas Schroeer

472 Posts

December 15th, 2008 05:00

Hi Andreas,

I would recommend installing Master/Host Agents if you're looking for granular information from the VMs. If not, then the CMA should suffice.

The following features, which are available with Host Agents, are not supported with Common Mapping Agent.

◆ Issuing active commands
◆ Performing real-time explore
◆ Sending alerts
◆ Displaying host devices properties: Free size, tracks per cylinder, and sectors per track
◆ Displaying the following for VERITAS Volume Manager: VM disk count, maximum free space, utility state, VM Disks, and details about VERITAS sub-disks, plexes, etc.
◆ Displaying the following for HP-UX: Allocation state for logical volumes
◆ Windows Drive size
◆ Windows: In the ControlCenter Console Relationship View, the parent and child relationship for PowerPath cannot be displayed
◆ Informix databases: The agent does not collect information about temporary tablespace data files (the Console displays the temporary tablespace names, but no data files)

Regards,
Séamus Coffey
EMC Global Services

219 Posts

December 17th, 2008 04:00

THX for your reply. I think we will test both so that our system admins could see what information we eill get.
No Events found!