Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SS

2 Posts

October 1st, 2020 15:00

Receiving emails when SupportAssist is installed

We signed up for TechDirect to centrally manage SupportAssist for our company. Created the install package with the required contacts and deployed it to a single PC. Immediately those contacts received an email saying the following. 

Congratulations, [contact]!

SupportAssist has been successfully installed on your system and registered to communicate with Dell. We recommend saving this email as a copy of your registration information.

If not done already, you can enable your end-to-end management and processing of alerts generated on your systems with your Dell TechDirect account.

This seems odd that the contacts would be notified when a device gets SupportAssist installed. It was not installed by either of the two contacts listed and the person it was installed for (myself) didn't get that email. This seems backwards and also unnecessary. How do we prevent these emails from going out each time SupportAssist is installed?

October 5th, 2020 06:00

I'll answer my own question. No, don't use SupportAssist from the TechDirect portal for these reasons.

1. TechDirect support won't support SupportAssist issues when you create the package in TechDirect. They claim it is someone else's product and tell you to call the main support number.
  2. Calling regular tech support as they suggested will result in wasted time on your part trying to get the case assigned to someone with any knowledge of the issue. Total time on hold over the course of 2 days; 3 hours, 45 minutes.
  3. DellEMC who has a webpage stating they support the product for Business PCs won't talk to you unless you have a support contract with them.
  4. The devices that do have the SupportAssist agent installed on them never report back to the portal.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 26th, 2021 07:00

See if this helps.

* Open the SupportAssist for Business PCs with Windows OS Administrator Guide Rev. A03
* Page 42 = Email notifications from SupportAssist

No Events found!