SupportAssist for PCs

Last reply by 01-04-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion

Dell Command Update gets Application Error

I have 3 different systems that when I run Dell Command Update and try to check for updates fails with "Application Error An unexpected error occurred during the last action, the operation was aborted". After this it's activity log has an entry with "Update operation error: One or more errors occurred". 

This could be related to Windows 10 March 2021 updates. I have a habit of running Win 10 updates and then also checking MS Office, system drivers, etc. An this month I've hit this error.

Of the 3 systems 2 are Win 10 20H2 and 1 is still 2004.They are all different hardware being 2 laptops and 1 desktop.

Anyone else seeing this?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

Same here, brand new 7480 AIOs, Support Assist or Command update, both pre installed and then updated don't work.

I did BIOS update from F12, then remote update via dell website

Driver updates work going to dell website, that then uses Support Assist.

However, both installed Apps Support Assist and Command Update 'nag' users occasionally to run, but both fail to get updates, not a good user experience.

View solution in original post

Replies (14)
3 Argentum

@jbrownFranklinville 

I am not seeing that error in either my Dell desktop or my Dell laptop, both running 20H2 Windows 10 Pro.

I would suggest that you uninstall Dell Update, reboot, reinstall it, and see it will work.

The other possibility is that your security software might be interfering with Dell Update, so you could try disabling that temporarily.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

OK I've tried disabling Symantec SEP. I also uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh copy of the Dell Command Update for Windows 10. But the problem remains.

@jbrownFranklinville 

This appears to be an older Dell Update program.  I only have experience with Dell Update and SupportAssist.

This Dell Support Page might assist you.

Good luck.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

That page let me download the application again based on an entered Service Tag. So uninstalled existing, rebooted, reinstalled new one, rebooted. 

But I get the same results on these several systems.

I'm having same issues with Dell Command Updated and Support Assist Driver Update. I get an application error message.  For Dell command, the log shows one or more errors - but no details.    I've uninstalled/redownloaded/reinstalled both command and SA.  Still no luck here.  

Not sure about Support Assist, I'll have to go back to these systems and try that.

But my thought is something with Win 10 March updates has effected these Dell update scans.

I have the same issue, and it is not related to the March update.  I reinstalled Windows from scratch and before doing any Windows update installed the latest Command Update but error remains.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have the same problem, with two new PC just received this week, but also with one laptop I re-imagine today with a fresh ISO.

When I execute the System information of Dell Command|Update it doesn't work. I also have the same problem with the SupportAssist application If I try to scan the system for new drivers and updates, i get an error message and it stops the process suddenly but then log doesn't show any error, It only says there is no update available.

Any solution

Same here, brand new 7480 AIOs, Support Assist or Command update, both pre installed and then updated don't work.

I did BIOS update from F12, then remote update via dell website

Driver updates work going to dell website, that then uses Support Assist.

However, both installed Apps Support Assist and Command Update 'nag' users occasionally to run, but both fail to get updates, not a good user experience.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor