Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2022 03:00

Dell Support Assist and Dell Update failed - Inspiron 3881 desktop with Win 11-21H2

Dear all:

After the previous Dell Update problem I had with Win 11-22H2 build, when I rolled back the Win 11 build to 21H2, all works again.

Just today, SA popped a note to upgrade to latest version. I'm currently on v3.10.4.18. So I did, then things just fell apart. Not only the update failed (unable to complete update, please reboot your PC) -- but now Dell Update also failed (Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0).

Searched and tried all leads, none works. Even uninstalled My Dell v2.0.30.0 and reinstalled it. All but the Support Assist link works.

For SA problem (failed update, then failed to run, failed to reinstall), I tried as much as ensuring no system files are corrupted (SFC, DISM, chkdsk /f), and ensuring I tried all suggested fix on the Dell Support Video (Support Assist fail to install) - none helps.

For Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0, reinstalling clean also failed (after clearing all related registry entries and related folders/files). I viewed the log, and it listed a long string of numbers (like 10-12 digits) as return error code - exactly the same as I had before, when having problem installing it under Win 11- 22H2 build. Best to say it is inexplicable error code.

I even tried to log in Windows with a backup admin account, and try to reinstall SA and Dell Command Update UWA. Same results, didn't work.

Any ideas? 

55 Posts

July 7th, 2022 23:00

Hi Imacri, 

Here's the response to your last post..

I'm running out of ideas and I don't think there's anything I've suggested (other than disabling Fast Startup) that you haven't tried before.

Sad to hear this. I really hope something better will come out from Dell later on. About your suggestions to disable fast startup -- I did that already. See my post on July 22 about it. No change in results.

I still don't know why you were installing Windows Insider Preview builds on your Inspiron 3881 (e.g., if your Inspiron 3881 is a test machine and you don't keep important personal files or user data on this machine) or if you create full disk images with disk imaging software so that you can roll back this machine to a previous date if anything goes wrong (I already asked that question <above> on 01-Jul-2022 but I don't think you answered so I'll assume "No")

Yes, my Inspiron 3881 was shipped with Win 10 build 21H2. Within hours of setting it up for the first time (like around late December 2021) Windows Update notified that my system qualified for Win 11 upgrade. So I did the upgrade, and all went well. That was, Win 11 build 21H2.

At this stage, I'm very reluctant to roll everything back to Win 10 build 21H2 - as it will cause to me to reinstall all the apps and server I have currently running, and set for Win 11. I'm not to worry about my data at this stage, as I have them synced both to GDrive and OneDrive as well.

Down the line, I also signed up to join the Microsoft's Insider's Program, and be able to test out preview builds of Win 11 onwards. When the preview build of 22H2 is available, I went ahead for the upgrade. It went mostly well, until I discovered issues with Support Assist (run from My Dell), with Dell update (v4.4.0), and with Cloudflare Warp agent. After extensive trouble shooting and registry clean up/ reinstall -- I gave up. I went back/ rolled back to Win 11 build 21H2. All issues disappeared.

My Inspiron is the main desktop with working/business data on it. I do have the recovery disk for the original Win 10 build 21H2. However, I have not yet create the new recovery disk for the latest Win 11 build 21H2. I understand this is not very prudent of me.

Then came along the prompt to upgrade Dell Support assist (was on v3.10.4.18). Right then and there, issues arise. They are: SA failed to be updated, reinstalling failed, clean install and/or reinstall failed; then Dell Update also failed to run, failed to be reinstalled even after clean uninstall.

If your only issue is that Dell SupportAssist and Dell Update won't install or run correctly then it might be simpler just to learn to live without those utilities for now and see what happens the next time Dell releases a new version. Hopefully someone else will jump into this thread and provide further suggestions for troubleshooting that I haven't thought of already.

Correct to say that my issues now are related to Dell Support Assist, and to Dell Update, which both won't install and run. I do appreciate you digging into this. Thank you for the support.

I also hope someone in the forum who either have the same issues as I, or may have a solution in hand can jump in. 

Just something to consider, but you also have more extreme options if your Inspiron 3881 shipped from the factory with a Win 10 OS.  At this point it might be faster for you to back up all you important personal and user data to an external drive and then perform a clean reinstall of your Windows 10 v21H2 OS

I thought about this option, and having consider the post roll back complications that may arise -- I decided not to pursue this. See, sadly my issues are with Dell apps - and not others like Office etc. It is a setback when I have to rely on web Dell Update to check for updates -- but at this stage, what else can I do? Major bummer.

Wavering faith on Dell Apps ...

55 Posts

July 8th, 2022 00:00

Imacri, another update.

Dell release a new BIOS for Inspiron 3881, version 1.13.0  dated July 8, 2022, available in the Dell Support site. I downloaded it, and run as admin to install - nothing happened. Run as admin install from DOS window, same results. 

The only suggestions I found was to disable BitLocker for manual BIOS update. My Win 11 Home doesn't have BitLocker -- so no help.

I can't even update the BIOS manually now -- maybe this is related to not having SA or DU working in the system. What do you think?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

July 8th, 2022 15:00

@Ling Kwa wrote:

Dell release a new BIOS for Inspiron 3881, version 1.13.0  dated July 8, 2022, available in the Dell Support site. I downloaded it, and run as admin to install - nothing happened. Run as admin install from DOS window, same results....

Hi Ling Kwa:

I have no idea why your BIOS isn't updating now but I'll throw out a few ideas.

I'm not sure what you mean when you said you tried to install your BIOS "from a DOS window" (which I assume means a command prompt) but there are two installation methods described on the Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.13.0 release notes <here> - either Update from Windows (which you said didn't work) or Update from BIOS using a removable UBS thumb drive. Did you try to update from your BIOS, which some users feel is the safer method? I always use the Update from Windows method and haven't had any problems with BIOS updates so far, but I always save the .exe file on my Windows desktop and disable the real-time protection of my Malwarebytes Premium anti-malware before I right-click the .exe installer and choose "Run as Administrator" .

Is there any chance you have Visual Studio installed on your Inspiron 3381? See Dell employee DELL Chris M's 07-Jul-2022 post in bhuivuls' Unable to Install SupportAssist. I have no idea why Visual Studio would prevent some users from installing the current SupportAssist v3.11.4.29, but that thread is locked now so I can't ask.

I still don't know what would prevent Dell Update v4.4.0 from installing on your computer (or if there's a legitimate reason why Dell isn't recommending the latest Dell Update v4.5.0 for the Inspiron 3881). Perhaps you corrupted a required component during your roll back from the Win 11 v22H2 Windows Insider Preview build to v21H2 (OS Build 22000.778) like the Dell Fusion Service or MS .NET Framework v3.5 / v4.8. Perhaps you still have some stray component left behind from the uninstall of the Dell Command | Update Dell WUA v4.4.0 (Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_PWD0M_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) you found <here> that wasn't recommended for your Inspiron 3881 and is now blocking the installation of the recommended Dell Update WUA (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE). For example, if you browse to the hidden C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder can you see any remnants of previous SupportAssist and/or Dell Update installations? When I use TreeSize Free to view this hidden folder I can see remnants of older SupportAssist v3.9.x and v3.10.x installations, although they don't seem to be causing any problems for my current SupportAssist v3.11.4.29.

TreeSize Free v4_5_3 Select Folder C_Program FIles_WindowsApp 08 Jul 2022.png

Also note that my Win 10 Pro v21H2 has two separate entries for my Dell Update Windows Universal application v4.5.0 at Settings | Apps | Apps and Features (the main Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 that can be uninstalled from the Control Panel as well as a smaller Dell Update v4.5.23 Appx module), just as there are two entries for my SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 (the main Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 that can be uninstalled from the Control Panel as well as SupportAssist v3.11.20.0 Appx module) - see Dell employee NikhilKiroula's 16-Aug-2021 post in rinconman285's What is the Current Version of SupportAssist that notes that this is normal.

Wiin 10 Pro v21H2 Apps and Features Dell Update UWP v4_5_0 Two Components 08 Jul 2022.png

Given that your BIOS update is also failing now I wonder if you damaged your Windows user account during the roll back to Win 11 v21H2. It might be worthwhile to create a new Administrator account (i.e., log in as an Administrator, create a new Win 11 Microsoft account or Local account at Settings | Account Family & Other Users | Other Users | Add Someone Else to This PC and then change the account type to Administrator). Then log in under the new Administrator account and see if you can install the recommended Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (update package GP7HV) from that account. Just an FYI that the Administrator account on my Inspiron 5584 / Win 10 Pro v21H2 machine is a Microsoft account (i.e., I am logged in automatically with my Microsoft account credentials after I enter a PIN number on the lock screen) - I initially tried a Local (offline) Administrator account the first time I set up my Inspiron 5584 but gave up and switched to a Microsoft Administrator account after my Inspiron 5584 became so unstable that I was forced to restore to factory condition and set up my computer again from scratch.

Another Aside:

I ran the WhyNotWin11 tool to confirm my Inspiron 5584 meets the system requirements for Win 11 but I don't plan to upgrade until Microsoft declares that Win 11 is stable enough for general release to business environments or until I'm forced to upgrade when Win 10 reaches end of support in October 2025. If you want to stay on Win 11 v21H2 for now and don't want to perform clean reinstall of Win 11 v21H2 that will wipe all your user accounts, apps and personal data files (see Brink's ElevenForums tutorial Clean Install Windows 11) note that you also have the option to perform a repair install (see Brink's ElevenForums tutorial Repair Install Windows 11 with an In-place Upgrade) that should leave your user accounts, apps and personal data in place. None of this matters to you right now if you're happy with the current state of your Win 11 v21H2 OS and don't believe your Win 11 OS has anything to do with your Dell Update v4.4.0 and BIOS v1.13.0 install failures.
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1709 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0 * TreeSize Free Portable v4.5.3.601.*  WhyNotWin11 Portable v2..5.0.1
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

55 Posts

July 10th, 2022 14:00

Imacri, just to add, I don't have Visual Studio installed in my system.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

July 10th, 2022 16:00

@Ling Kwa wrote:

... Glad to share here that my issues have been fixed as of 2 days ago. I deferred updating the post/forum immediately as I wanted to be sure the issues are really fixed and running stable first.

Hi Ling Kwa:

That great news. Glad to hear you figured it out, even if My Dell is not launching correctly.

I've never updated my BIOS using a USB flash drive, but the support article How to Flash the BIOS on a Dell Desktop or Notebook with a USB Thumb Drive notes that you should use save the .exe excutable (e.g., Inspiron_3881_1.13.0.exe) to the USB flash drive. Also note that those instructions say that your USB flash drive should be formatted with the FAT32 file system.

The release notes <here> for your Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.13.0 note that BIOS_IMG.rcv is the BIOS Recovery image file and that "this image is used for the System BIOS Recovery process to recover a system from a corrupted BIOS". See the support article How to Recover the BIOS on a Dell Computer or Tablet for instructions how to use this BIOS Recovery image file if you update your BIOS and your system will not boot up correctly because of a corrupted BIOS. If using this BIOS_IMG.rcv was the only way you could correctly install your your Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.13.0 then perhaps your previous Dell Inspiron 3881 System BIOS v1.12.0 was damaged during the roll back from your Win 11 Insiders Preview build (v22H2) to the stable Win 11 v21H2.

I suggested in my 08-Jul-2022 post <here> that your Windows administrator account might have been damaged during the roll back from your Win 11 Insiders Preview build (v22H2) to the stable Win 11 v21H2 and provided instructions for creating a new Administrator account for testing. You said your Dell Update Windows Universal Application v4.4.0 (Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) finally installed after you logged in to Windows with your backup admin account named DELL, so if you run into further problems while logged in with your personal account just keep in mind that it might be corrupted and needs to be replaced. I'm assuming your personal account you normally log in with has Administrator rights that allows you to install applications and make other changes to your system that require elevated privileges that you wouldn't have if you were logged in with a Standard user account.

I agree that you shouldn't be too concerned if your My Dell app is not working correctly - the only thing I like about My Dell is that it has a quick link to my Inspiron 5584 support page (see image below). It's possible that uninstalling the Fusion Service from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, re-booting, and reinstalling with a fresh copy of Fusion Service v2.0.58 (Fusion-Service_M93KW_WIN_2.0.58.0_A00.EXE, released 15-Apr-2022) from the support page <here> for your Inspiron 3381 might solve the problem, but I personally wouldn't waste too much time trying to fix My Dell.  It might start working on its own the next time Dell releases another update for the Fusion Service.

Inspiron 5584 My Dell App Shortcut to Device Manuals 10 Jul 2022.png

---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1709 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * My Dell v2.0.30.0 * Fusion Service v2.0.58.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

27 Posts

July 10th, 2022 18:00

Hi @Ling Kwa 

So what I am piecing together here is that, after you updated your computer's BIOS and logged into a discrete admin account, you were able to install Dell Command/Update Universal, which led to the installation of SA?. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

In my experience, Dell Update would only install apps that weren't installed on your system, or update apps that were listed as "urgent". It has never installed any SA update, besides the remediation software. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you uninstalled SA, so it is strange for DCU UWA to update/install SA for you. 

I'm assuming this "dell" account was created by you or was bundled with the PC. Regardless, it's still very strange how another account was able to install your stuff just fine while your personal account wasn't able to. It could be an account problem of some sort. I haven't tried this method yet though, but at this point, I'd rather let dell (hopefully) fix it rather than go through the hassle by myself. 

I'm on an Alienware machine that has only one user, which is mine, and has admin privileges. DCU UWA (version 4.5.0) would not detect SA and install it as you mentioned. For me, the SA installer is still failing to install SA, and keeps giving me the same error - "Installation failed...please reboot your pc and try again...". 

55 Posts

July 11th, 2022 11:00

Imacri:

Thanks for getting back.

About the BIOS update, that I managed to manually update it by loading the .rcv file instead of the .exe file -- I'm not sure if that is due to having my account profile corrupted (due to Windows build rollback). AFAIK, BIOS update runs in an environment not OS dependent, as it bypasses the OS Kernel and go directly to the firmware level (compiled binary code).

Having said that, and understanding the BIOS update installation notes -- indeed rcv file is designated for BIOS recovery in case the existing one is corrupt. Executing the exe file under OS (Windows direct, or via CMD prompt) technically should enable access to firmware level, and usually lead to a reboot before BIOS flashing starts, and before the OS kernel loads. Understanding this, then yes, the direct firmware calls made by the exe file may not run properly if the account profile (registry) is corrupt.

However, if updating the BIOS via the boot menu (F12), by way of reading the file from USB flash disk -- also happens before the OS kernel loads. Thus, it is irrelevant whether the OS (in this case the account profile) is corrupted. The fact is, even by his method, in my experience the exe file selected failed to update the BIOS. That led me to believe that there's something not right about the process, or the exe file itself.

To think that my BIOS (v1.12.0 at that moment) may have been corrupted (during the rollback of 22H2 to 21H2) - I'm unsure how to confirm this. I did a number of BIOS config look up during the issues trouble shooting, and just by reading the BIOS config, I can't tell if anything is out of the ordinary.

Now, back at the BIOS update. When I downloaded the rcv file, then loaded it in the BIOS update through the boot menu (F12) - it loaded just right, and the flashing process run without a hitch. BIOS was updated to latest v1.13.0.

Going back to what you suggested, that there is a possibility of my Windows account profile be corrupted (by which ever way, whether during 22H2 roll back or any event in between, when I was cleaning the registry entries for any Dell app entries) -- got me to rethink my approach this far.

Indeed my personal Windows account is an elevated account with admin privileges, not a standard user one. For normal Windows PC, I always have a backup admin account. In this Inspiron, yes, it is named DELL. I used this DELL account, and note: having the identical Microsoft account linked, just like my personal Windows account. I tried a clean install of DCU UWA v4.4.0 and it worked. Then later DCU UWA informed me of pending update for Fusion Service and SA agent. Note that I stopped right here, and do the update from my personal Windows account instead, not while logged in as DELL.

While logged in as DELL, I tried installing SA by running the installer. The install process run, and right when it was suppose to complete, nothing was displayed in the screen notifying success/fail. I didn't find SA installed yet from the apps list.

After a reboot, I logged in with my personal account, and discovered that DCU UWA works, then also found SA installed, and works.

Yeah, My Dell not working didn't change anything for my daily routines. I did have the latest Fusion Service v2.0.58 installed as now. Yeah, in the past My Dell has a habit of randomly stop working for reasons like failed update etc.

Again, thanks for leading me to the solution.

55 Posts

July 11th, 2022 13:00

Hi @Admiral1989 

Let me respond to your questions directly.

So what I am piecing together here is that, after you updated your computer's BIOS and logged into a discrete admin account, you were able to install Dell Command/Update Universal, which led to the installation of SA?. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Not exactly. My BIOS update issue was another follow up event after the main issues I post in the forum. They were, SA and DCU UWA failed to install/reinstall. This is due to SA acting up after SA run from My Dell popped an update prompt. Clicking update SA then failed with exactly the same error as what you had.

I downloaded the BIOS update from Dell Support, the exe file. Supposedly it should run directly from Windows (or via CMD). It didn't. I tried downloading another copy, same result. Didn't run. Clicking the exe file (run as admin) just created a process as if its about to update, then just disappear. Nothing.

I tried updating the BIOS via F12 boot menu, using the exe file, also didn't go through. It sort of run but not showing any flashing progress. After the reboot, BIOS was still existing version, not updated.

By using the BIOS rcv file in the F12 boot menu, I managed to get the BIOS updated.

The BIOS update issue is a latter issue, while I was still trying to solve the previous issues.

After the BIOS update, while logged in my personal account with admin privilege, I'm still unable to install DCU UWA and SA. If you catch from my previous post - after the SA update failed, I went and clean uninstall SA. Reinstalling failed. Then I discovered DCU UWA (Dell Update v4.4.0) also failed to run. Reinstalling DCU UWA also failed. I also uninstalled DCU UWA and tried a clean install. Also failed.

It is after I logged in to my backup admin account (named DELL which I created upon setting up the new PC then) -  I was able to install DCU UWA v4.4.0 (the latest for my Inspiron 3881).

I tried a clean install of DCU UWA v4.4.0 and it worked. Then later DCU UWA informed me of pending update for Fusion Service and SA agent. Note that I stopped right here, and do the update from my personal Windows account instead, not while logged in as DELL.

While logged in as DELL, I tried installing SA by running the installer. The install process run, and right when it was suppose to complete, nothing was displayed in the screen notifying success/fail. I didn't find SA installed yet from the apps list.

After a reboot, I logged in with my personal account, and discovered that DCU UWA works, then also found SA installed, and works. That's how I get to having SA installed (v3.11.4)

In my experience, Dell Update would only install apps that weren't installed on your system, or update apps that were listed as "urgent". It has never installed any SA update, besides the remediation software. Plus, I'm pretty sure that you uninstalled SA, so it is strange for DCU UWA to update/install SA for you.

Yes you are correct. Dell Update (DCU UWA) didn't install SA on my system. It prompted for update for Fusion Service and SA Agent (not the SA App). I installed SA separately, not from Dell Update. I did uninstall SA due to issues for failing to update previously.

I'm assuming this "dell" account was created by you or was bundled with the PC. Regardless, it's still very strange how another account was able to install your stuff just fine while your personal account wasn't able to. It could be an account problem of some sort.

I created the DELL account as an admin backup account for my system early on. Just a habit should Windows fall apart (which does happen from time to time). I looked into this after my discussions with @lmacri in this thread. Yes, it is possible a corrupted registry can mess up apps and their installation routines. I discussed this in greater length in my last reply to @lmacri . At this stage, all apps (including Dell SA and DCU UWA) are hunky dory again in my personal account . Well, My Dell is not working (again, after update prompt), but it is not an issue for me.

My SA install previously also share the identical error message as you had. I literally tried all suggested and discussed solutions in this forum. Nothing works. Until I tried side loading it from another account.

Hope this clarifies.

I would urge Dell app developers to really look into the stability and compatibility of their released apps. I'm seeing the pattern of app problem, one leads to another , and matters just got worse overtime when users tried to solve them.

27 Posts

July 12th, 2022 12:00

Thank you for clarifying. We are a bit closer to solving the problem fully.  

"Yes you are correct. Dell Update (DCU UWA) didn't install SA on my system. It prompted for update for Fusion Service and SA Agent (not the SA App). I installed SA separately, not from Dell Update. I did uninstall SA due to issues for failing to update previously."

I personally have never seen this happen. Maybe it's only exclusive for Inspiration desktops. I don't have a folder or app anywhere in my system that has the name "SA agent" or "SupportAssist Agent" (cause I deleted them all when following the instructions to reinstall SA). Also, DCU had never given me the "SA agent" update/install.(Then again, it's probably a non Alienware thing.) Could the agent be at fault in this situation?

Again, thank you for clarifying. 

55 Posts

July 12th, 2022 16:00

@Admiral1989 

My apologies for the confusion. What I referred as SA Agent (in my immediate thought) was actually SA OS Recovery plugin for DU. My bad for not specifying it properly.

LingKwa_0-1657666431773.png

When I faced problems in reinstalling SA and DU (DCU UWA), I did a clean up of files, folders, and registry entries of anything that is related to Dell apps. That also includes Fusion Service and SA OS Recovery Plugin for DU.

The error message you faced is identical to what I have, and to what most users are complaining. So I believed this is not just device model specific, rather, an app issue.

How helpful has Dell Support been in your case?

55 Posts

July 13th, 2022 05:00

Hi Imacri:

It's Dell Command Update UWA v4.4.0, and not Dell Update. Dell Update cannot be installed for inexplicable reason. See the screen shot of the working app below.

LingKwa_0-1657715948523.png

The Dell Update: Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE cannot be installed (as in failed immediately, even while logged in with the backup admin account [named DELL]).

Now note that previously, before I had the issues posted here, I had Dell Update running in my system, and not Dell Command Update. Correct to point out that previously, Dell Update: Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE was the installer file used.

However, after the problem with SA, which lead to Dell Update to also not working -- now, I can get DCU UWA to work. But not the original Dell Update as pointed out above.

I'm still trying to figure out why so, and not like what the Inspiron 3881 support page says.

So, what will install while I was logged in with the backup admin account [named; DELL] is Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_PWD0M_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE - hence, Dell Command Update. Only after successful install in the backup admin account of DELL I was able to run DCU UWA v4.4.0 in my personal Windows account (note that I have my Microsoft account linked to both Windows account: The DELL, and the personal one).

Any thoughts?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

July 13th, 2022 05:00

@Ling Kwa wrote:
... I tried a clean install of DCU UWA v4.4.0 and it worked. Then later DCU UWA informed me of pending update for Fusion Service and SA agent. Note that I stopped right here, and do the update from my personal Windows account instead, not while logged in as DELL....

Hi Ling Kwa:

I also think it's also more accurate to say that you installed Dell Update (DU), and not Dell Command | Update (DCU).

Dell Command | Update (DCU) is generally intended for higher-end Latitude / OptiPlex / Precision / XPS models like the Latitude 7390 that are typically used as clients in a business environment and have software like the Dell Command | Integration Suite for System Center, Dell Command | Configure, and Dell Command | Monitor that allow remote configuration and monitoring. As I noted in my 01-Jul-2022 post <here>, the release notes for Dell Command | Update Windows Universal v4.4.0 (Dell-Command-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_PWD0M_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) do not list your Inspiron 3881 or any other Inspiron model as a compatible system.

If you currently have the Dell Update (DU) for Windows Universal v4.4.0 that is recommended on the support page <here> for your Inspiron 3881 then you have Dell Update (DU) and not Dell Command | Update (DCU). When you say you installed the UWA version I also assume that means that you are using the Windows Universal version of Dell Update v4.4.0 (Win 10 and Win 11 only, Dell-Update-Windows-Universal-Application_GP7HV_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE) and not the "old-style" W32 installer version (Win 7 to Win 10, Dell-Update-Application_R3CWF_WIN_4.4.0_A00.EXE).
---------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1766 * Firefox v102.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2205.7-1.1.19300.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.10.200-1.0.1709 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6867 * Dell SupportAssist v3.11.4.29 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.5.0 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.18.0

55 Posts

July 13th, 2022 06:00

Hi Imacri:

Below is excerpt from the MySystemInformation.xml file (exported from DCU UWA). I listed only Dell apps entries.

Fusion Service

Dell Command | U

DellInc.DellSupportAssistforPCs
DellInc.DellSupportAssistforPCs_htrsf667h5kn2

DellInc.DellCommandUpdate
DellInc.DellCommandUpdate_htrsf667h5kn2

Dell DBUtil Removal Utility

Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery Plugin for Dell Update

27 Posts

July 13th, 2022 11:00

@Ling Kwa 

"My apologies for the confusion. What I referred as SA Agent (in my immediate thought) was actually SA OS Recovery plugin for DU. My bad for not specifying it properly."

Ok, I see now. Thank you for clarifying...again

The error message you faced is identical to what I have, and to what most users are complaining. So I believed this is not just device model specific, rather, an app issue.

I believe in your theory. However, the error message that we both have corresponds with another SA issue regarding NET. runtime. Some people had the same error as us and all they had to do was to install the outdated NET 5.0.x to get SA working. Also, I believe that the issue first started opening up to people with higher-end systems, i.e Alienware and other high-end dell models. This could explain how my inspiration laptop updated SA without any issues. I believe Imacri had updated SA on their system(the one that is listed at the end of their messages)successfully as well. I haven't seen anyone YET with a similar SA issue like ours on a low to mid-end system. 

How helpful has Dell Support been in your case?

My machine is out of warranty. I've made a thread a few weeks ago regarding the same issue as you that is still unsolved. A few users had said that installing NET Runtime 5.0.x had solved their problem. A few dell employees had replied talking about reinstalling SA and SA's new features. One had said that SA programmers were looking for a fix but abruptly edited her message to say that if anyone was having issues they could click on the "get support now" button on the website. This was about a week ago, and still, no progress has been made on the customer end for people with similar issues like us. Though I can't blame dell staff for being busy(I assume). 

What makes the situation worse on my end, is that right after SA stopped working(literally on the same day), my PC chose to freeze during the day without any explanation at all. I do have a high-end(ish) Alienware system, about 2 - 3 years old. I've diminished the issue at the moment by disabling and uninstalling all dell services and apps. My PC went from 5 freezes a day to 1 or none. I'm just going to wait until dell offers a semi-stable SA and apps. 

55 Posts

July 13th, 2022 13:00

@Admiral1989 

In response to your points:

I believe in your theory. However, the error message that we both have corresponds with another SA issue regarding NET. runtime. Some people had the same error as us and all they had to do was to install the outdated NET 5.0.x to get SA working. Also, I believe that the issue first started opening up to people with higher-end systems, i.e Alienware and other high-end dell models. This could explain how my inspiration laptop updated SA without any issues. I believe Imacri had updated SA on their system(the one that is listed at the end of their messages)successfully as well. I haven't seen anyone YET with a similar SA issue like ours on a low to mid-end system. 

FYI, the instant I had the SA issue (then later on with DU issue) - I actually had 3 versions of dot NET runtime installed. They (still) are v3.1.27, v5.0.17. and also v6.0.6. All coexist without noticeable compatibility issues. Indeed Imacri mentioned, by referring to other post about SA and the dot NET  version compatibility - that latest SA requires v5.0.x which is obsolete now.. So for the sake of testing, I uninstalled dot NET v6.0.6. After ensuring I have a clean system, no traces of Dell Apps, I tried again, to install SA, and DU, and also DCU. All install failed immediately, with identical error message (there's a problem, reboot your PC and try again). Then I deduced that having different versions of dot NET coexist in the system doesn't change the outcome of the installation issues of SA and DU/DCU. I reinstalled the dot NET v6.0.6 again.

When I finally was able to install DCU UWA v4.4.0. and then later followed with SA -- I still have the dot NET runtime installed in my system (v3, v5, v6). So I'm not experiencing issues that some users here mentioned, due to missing dot NET. As of now, dot NET v7 is ready for release  as well.

So in my case, I can safely say it was not due to not having the proper dot NET version installed. They have been, and still are installed.

My machine is out of warranty.

My Inspiron 3881 is also out of warranty. That's the reason why I was directed to this support community forum to begin with. My past experience with Dell Support while under warranty is not bad, but not good either. The Level 1 and 2 support are, in my opinion, canned and mostly run arounds (check this and that, read the FAQ, contact Microsoft etc.). Only when you reached level 3 the support level is much better and you deal with an engineer with better tech knowledge. This applies for both Basic and Pro Support warranty (consumer or enterprise devices).

I used to work for Dell in the past. To date, I own and daily use both consumer and enterprise Dell models (2 desktops and 2 laptops). I have used their servers and storage at work too. Out of all the Dell devices I currently use, only the Inspiron is on Win 11 - 21H2. The rest are in Win 10 pro, and Win XP (yup, still works like a charm).

What makes the situation worse on my end, is that right after SA stopped working(literally on the same day), my PC chose to freeze during the day without any explanation at all.

Sorry to hear this. My Vostro 5402 (Win 10 pro) was also having problems with sudden BSODs, and sometimes even fail POST. After a lengthy trouble shooting (literally 2 weeks straight) with Dell Support (under warranty) -- finally it is fixed and stable now. I placed a warranty claim for RAM, Motherboard, Fan Assy, and heat sink/channel replacement. They all got replaced and now all good.

Previously, MS SQL server would crashed inexplicably, and later (as if it is overheating) - BSODs at random time.

How I managed to get Dell Support to replace those parts was by showing log evidence of presumed hardware failures.

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest you run a thorough system diagnostic test at start up. And run it a few times and take note/photo/video of the result (which later on can be submitted to Dell Support).

The way to do this, shut down your device (not restart, but really shut down). Then while holding the Fn key, press the power button (on), and don't let go pressing these two buttons until the screen shows system diagnostic test. Once here, the only option is to run a quick test first (do it). When completed, then the option to do a thorough test lit up. Select that and let it run (may take 30 - 60 mins). When completed, you will be shown the the result summary (and also logged) -- whether any hardware part is failing the test. If there's an identified failure, write it down and take a picture of it. Go back to Dell Support if still under warranty.

The other simple thing to check is to open up the bottom cover of the laptop (or the desktop casing). Look for the fan assy and heat sink, and I'm pretty sure they will be covered with dust. Clean them up with brush and mini vacuum if you have it around. Once cleaned, put the cover back on, and start Windows normally. Observe if the freezing/crashing (suspected caused by overheating) still occurs.

Reading your case, it is possible (like >60%) you have a hardware issue. Hope you'll get it fixed soon (either hardware or otherwise)..

No Events found!