Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell SupportAssist Remediation memory usage problem

In my taskmanager the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service is taking up 1,5gb of memory:

Is this normal?

I'm on a dell XPS13 9360

45 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell SupportAssist Remediation memory usage problem

Hello, 

I'm also experiencing the random high memory usage of Dell SupportAssist Remediation.

I'm experiencing it on my XPS 15 9550.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same issue with a XPS 8910.  I had to stop the service as it was expanding to the point WIN 10 crashed.  This just started on 1-27-18 so not sure what Dell did other than my warranty is out and I am getting lots of calls from salesmen trying to get me to renew it.  So maybe Dell is doing this on purpose to get $$ from loyal customers by causing issues with their machines remotely.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I uninstalled Dell Support Assist Remediation in the Control Panel, but it still shows up in the Task Manager.  I have to disable to every time I turn the computer on because it uses up to 97% of my memory (with nothing else running), rendering my computer useless.  After I disable it from Processes in Task Manager, everything works just fine and the memory usage goes down to something like 25%.  I will NEVER EVER buy another Dell Computer. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem on a Dell XPS 8900. Dell SupportAssist Remediation memory usage jumps to ~2GB.

Initially the Commit, Working Set and Private Memory use are each at ~2GBs with Shareable at only 27MBs. After 10-15 minutes the Commit memory stays at ~2GB but the Working Set and Shareable drop to 27MBs while Private drops way down to only 0.7MBs.

A moment ago, the Commit, Working Set and Private memories jumped to ~3GBs, Shareable is still at 27MBs.

Just now, Commit memory all of a sudden between 0.5 and 1.5GBs finally stabilised at ~1GB.

I've been watching it for the past 30 minutes after I think a memory leak crashed my computer when the Modified portion of memory slowly climbed from ~5% to ~90%. Anyone else getting similar behaviour?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here; my PC has ground to a halt.  😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I used the Task Manager to turn it off and all the processes have returned to normal, for now, at least...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

It's only getting worse here.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I see this... hmmm cannot insert image, but 5.7GB !! what is going on

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

After press win+R type in:"msconfig", click:hide Microsoft services, I found it.

probably it is  a service that seems ready to run when you turn on a Dell computer.无标题.png

I don't know what is it used for, but maybe the ban could be done to stop Dell SupportAssist Remediation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same EXACT problem here... Someone from Dell, we need an answer for this immediately.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Dell?     Does anybody else hear crickets?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Exactly the same problem with  Inspiron 3650.

I have to turn off Dell SupportAssist Remediation from task manager every time I start up the computer!

Highlighted
1 Copper

It's sad that Dell don't look into this problem. I have to practically uninstall Dell Support Assist Remediation program to settle the issue. My laptop just hang there while running firefox or when it's even loading up the icons on my desktop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Sjoelbakje,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

There is a Dell support team willing to assist with this issue.  They will need you to run a program on your machine that will provide them with a log of what's happening, and once the log is analyzed they will be able to assist with your issue. 

Please contact me privately and I will give you the instructions.  Here is a tutorial on how to send a private message.

Regards,
Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Robert P;

This seems to be a bit of "too little, too late". As you can see by the tail of this thread there are plenty more people who have this Dell 'virus' problem, and I'm sure there are others who have not posted who are either not savvy enough to pinpoint the problem or haven't found this forum in which to air it.

A lot of those 'victims' here have deleted all things Dell in response. You have lost trust.

Dell needs to get a handle on this thing and move past trying to handle each incident individually.

Highlighted
3 Silver

I'll just add my name, and my XPS 8900, to the list of those suffering from this issue with the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service. The problem sometimes occurred just after rebooting the PC (as Windows was loading), and sometimes after an hour or more of being up and running. I wasn't able to detect any pattern or guess as to what triggered the service to run amok and suck up the available RAM. The symptoms were simple enough: The PC would, over the course of a few minutes, become extremely sluggish. Eventually, Windows would stop responding to mouse clicks (although the mouse cursor seemed to still move around as expected). It would reach the point where the system was so unresponsive that I couldn't restart the PC by clicking Start... Power... Restart, and couldn't open Task Manager to select Restart from there. The only way I was able to regain control was to press, and keep pressing, the power button on the PC to force it to shut down. That's by far not the safest way to shut down a PC.

I discovered the source of the problem when I opened Task Manager just after noticing the PC becoming sluggish but before I completely lost the ability to do anything. Dell SupportAssist Remediation was at the top of the list of apps and services using the most RAM. In the case of my PC, Dell SupportAssist Remediation was using 344.5MB of RAM and this was increasing gradually as I watched it. Dell SupportAssist Remediation was using more than twice as much RAM as Google Chrome, the next item in the list of RAM-hungry apps and services. I'm no expert, but that sure looked like a major memory leak to me.

I eventually "resolved" the problem (at least regained control of the PC) by going to Task Manager, then, from the Services tab, selecting "Open Services" at the bottom of the window. I found Dell SupportAssist Remediation in the list of services and changed its Startup Type from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Disabled.

That was several days ago. Since changing that setting, the PC has remained stable with no slowdowns or sluggishness.

I'm not crazy about this solution, since there's an off chance that Dell SupportAssist Remediation actually does something useful on occasion, but it's the only way I've found to regain control of my PC so it doesn't bog down and die in the middle of my doing something important.

By the way, does anybody have even a clue as to what Dell SupportAssist Remediation does when it isn't misbehaving?

I'm looking forward to Dell eventually taking notice of this issue, fixing the memory leak, and issuing a non-buggy version of the service.

Larry

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here. XPS 9350 i5. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here. Went to services and changed setting to Disabled.

If it was a major software component for DELL, I'm sure they would have answered this forum by now. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Exact same here as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks Larry, this helped. Dell Support is still trying to figure this out- awful! I would have expected them to share a broader communication to ensure this does not affect others, but I guess they don't give a **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well the thing is a buggy piece of **bleep**, as always. Still is in September 2019. Dell support didn't write it and as a software developer myself, I can see this pattern in any large organization. The time lapse from "it's a piece of **bleep** and it eats all my ram, or all my disk" to a fix, is often years.
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

Was any more posted about the Dell SupportAssist Remediation memory usage problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@dell-robert p This is not a problem that needs a private response. You have hundreds of clients with the same problem. It's all over the net (Tom's Hardware, Reddit, CNet, and more).  They are even calling it the "dell virus".  People are opting to uninstall all Dell related software on their computer. I know this because I was searching about it in order to fix my grandfather's almost brand new PC. His PC has about a year from being bought and only around 6 months of use in it. Your software is taking around 70% of the RAM every time the PC boots up, and it stays hogging that amount of RAM for at least 6 to 8 hours. The system has 8GB of RAM there is ZERO reason for a background process to be using 2 to 6GB of RAM.  This is ridiculous and you need to come up with an answer that is not private. Dell caused the problem, therefore Dell needs to fix it

Highlighted

Hi AriDavid,

The request for the Private Message is to protect your private information, not to hide a response.  It is a violation of Dell's privacy policy for your personal information to be publicly displayed and I'm sure you can appreciate the need for protection of information these days.  

-Robert

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Robert, I did send you a private message as requested on 1-Jun-2018. Still awaiting a response. Dell Support definitely owes me a response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

why not just post for all, since many have the same issue???

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I agree and that's what we have all been asking from Dell Support. Has anyone attended the Dell SupportAssist Webinars? Does it have anything useful to share?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Usage got up to 6 Gig on my Dell.  Needless to say, nothing else would run.  I learned how to disable it from a different post in this thread and did so.  When is Dell going to address this problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello,

I have the exact same problem on my Dell Inspiron 5559, Win10.

Once I end the process in task manager, my laptop's performance greatly improves.

Already PMed @

Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm having the same exact issue on my Inspiron 13 5000 Series. Every time I reopen my laptop I have to go to task manager to end the task. I'm also having an issue where when I put my laptop to sleep and come to reopen it the screen flashes white and black pixel streaks and I'm forced to restart my laptop in order to see anything on the screen again. I've noticed this happen ever since the update around 2017 summertime. Very annoying that dell is not doing anything to help this situation. Makes you think....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 11 3169.  It would be nice to have a fix for this from Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I had the same problem and called tech support.  Their solution is to uninstall, in this order, Dell Support Assist, Dell Support Assist Agent, then Dell Support Assist Remediation.  Reboot.  Then reinstall Dell Support Assist from the website, but do not reinstall remediation.

So far, so good.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Thanks for your message. What a difference it makes! Haven't yet reloaded Dell SupportAssist. Am still enjoying the recovered performance!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Indeed, it is amazing the unresponsiveness of Dell to this issue, specially being this a "Dell User Support Assistance". Assistance is exactly what we have not having so far. Dell has not dignified us with either:

1) What is the role of the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service.

2) What is the importance of the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service, so that we know how dangerous might it be to disable it, which everyone noticed from this post as the only solution so far to this otherwise grave problem;

3) Who, if anyone, inside Dell is working toward the solution of the problem.

How can we rely on a machine if their manufacturers, after such a long time a problem with their product has been presented and discussed, do not take any action? The only post we have seen from someone from Dell here is outrageous! 

I have, along the last months, been obliged to reboot (using cold start) my XPS13 9350 several times, due in all occasions to this memory eating problem. My only resource now is to act like every other mistreated costumer in this thread and disable the service altogether. 

Thanks Dell! This is obviously a sarcastic comment, but sarcasm has been the only action Dell left for us to act upon.

Highlighted
1 Copper

why Dell support not on top of this problem, disgusting. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

It is shocking that even after 2 months of your posting, we still do not have an official response from Dell Support. DellSupportAssistRemediation hogging memory is a widely know problem and well reported in the community, but we still do not have an official root cause & remediation to the issue. Thanks to to community, going to the Task Manager and killing the SupportAssistRemediation Process has helped improved the performance on my Inspiron 15. But it just keeps coming back and I need to kill it after each reboot.

Dell Support- Anyone listening? My private message to  on 1-Jun-2018 has also not evoked any response.

Highlighted

April 19, 2018
Dell Inspiron 5559
Same issue
Highlighted
1 Copper

Looking deep into documentation on the Supportassist site, it seems the service may have something to do with recovering inaccessible user accounts?

3XNhNLc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just bought my Dell Inspiron 15-3565.i got back on and noticed I had High memory usage. I open task manager and noticed 3 of my 4 gigs of ram was being used by the Dell apps that come preinstalled. You want us to use them but how can we when They are eating up all of our memory. So for now untill there is a fix for this I have set them all to manual start. Only run when I want them to. My son has an hp that is close to what my Inspiron is an his only uses not even a gig when he logs in. We should not have to provide logs to you of our memory problem. Should beable to look at any Dell laptop yourselves and see that your preinstalled apps and services are memory hogs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I unfortunately have just noticed the same thing. I have owned my SPS 13 9630 (2017 model) with 8GB of RAM for a little over a year. Dell Help & Support's "MDLCService" (as listed in Task Manager) will consume a relatively large percentage of RAM (1.3-1.5/8GB) everytime I boot up. 

Some say it hogs memory for 6-8 hours, I find my install hogs memory for 15-30 min until dropping to around 100MB, but this is still far too long. It prevents my other more necessary startup programs from initializing in a timely manner. 

Dell's Support staff is disappointing concerning answering community posts, even for consumer-bought business class machines. It's frustrating. I suspect the lack of priority on their end is that business's will tend to opt for their own recovery, imaging and user management software solutions and thus do not have to worry about Dell's chosen "solution."

0 Kudos
1 Copper

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here.Capturar.PNG

Highlighted
1 Copper

I believe I have the worst situation, Luckily I have enough RAM to let it run, but my fans run like crazy.

1.png

Highlighted
1 Copper

I rarely reboot any of my devices and I find I never encounter any issues. When I do then I reboot and it fixes it.

Except for just now. I was in Chrome with over 30 tabs open as usual and memory well over 1gb just for Chrome which my 2019 XPS 15 is more than comfortable handeling. Yet I go to click on Windows start menu and nothing happens, it doesnt expand the start UI. I am patient so I wait a few seconds. I click again...nothing.

then my screen goes white with cursor and task bar. I open task manager and Chrome is happily running high on usage but I notice Dell Supprt Assistant Remediation but didn't think anything off it.

I restart explorer.exe, still white screen with task bar. I ended Chrome.exe. Still white with task bar.

I hold the power button down for over 15 seconds and it says restarting. I let go then hold it again for 15-20 seconds, nothing happens, still says restarting. Then after 10 seconds it goes 'off'. I press a key and the keyboard lights up then goes dark.

Anyway it eventually comes back on. I go to event viewer and see  that just as my computer went weird 'The Dell SupportAssist Remediation service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).' Followed a minute later by 'The server {354FF91B-5E49-4BDC-A8E6-1CB6C6877182} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.'

I assume this is the cause and by having a quick read online it looks highly probable.

In the past I would typically remove HP/Dell/etc bloatware but I havn't bought a machine in over 7 years so was pleasently suprised to see its got a lot better...so I kept it all. But now I might as well get rid of it.

0 Kudos