Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 23rd, 2018 14:00

Dell SupportAssist Remediation memory usage problem

In my taskmanager the Dell SupportAssist Remediation service is taking up 1,5gb of memory:

Is this normal?

I'm on a dell XPS13 9360

2 Posts

April 19th, 2018 16:00

Looking deep into documentation on the Supportassist site, it seems the service may have something to do with recovering inaccessible user accounts?

3XNhNLc

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2018 20:00

I just bought my Dell Inspiron 15-3565.i got back on and noticed I had High memory usage. I open task manager and noticed 3 of my 4 gigs of ram was being used by the Dell apps that come preinstalled. You want us to use them but how can we when They are eating up all of our memory. So for now untill there is a fix for this I have set them all to manual start. Only run when I want them to. My son has an hp that is close to what my Inspiron is an his only uses not even a gig when he logs in. We should not have to provide logs to you of our memory problem. Should beable to look at any Dell laptop yourselves and see that your preinstalled apps and services are memory hogs.

2 Posts

May 3rd, 2018 05:00

1 Message

May 4th, 2018 04:00

Same here.Capturar.PNG

1 Message

May 9th, 2018 16:00

@robert p This is not a problem that needs a private response. You have hundreds of clients with the same problem. It's all over the net (Tom's Hardware, Reddit, CNet, and more).  They are even calling it the "dell virus".  People are opting to uninstall all Dell related software on their computer. I know this because I was searching about it in order to fix my grandfather's almost brand new PC. His PC has about a year from being bought and only around 6 months of use in it. Your software is taking around 70% of the RAM every time the PC boots up, and it stays hogging that amount of RAM for at least 6 to 8 hours. The system has 8GB of RAM there is ZERO reason for a background process to be using 2 to 6GB of RAM.  This is ridiculous and you need to come up with an answer that is not private. Dell caused the problem, therefore Dell needs to fix it

9.4K Posts

May 10th, 2018 03:00

Hi AriDavid,

The request for the Private Message is to protect your private information, not to hide a response.  It is a violation of Dell's privacy policy for your personal information to be publicly displayed and I'm sure you can appreciate the need for protection of information these days.  

-Robert

9 Posts

June 17th, 2018 00:00

Robert, I did send you a private message as requested on 1-Jun-2018. Still awaiting a response. Dell Support definitely owes me a response.

9 Posts

Thanks Larry, this helped. Dell Support is still trying to figure this out- awful! I would have expected them to share a broader communication to ensure this does not affect others, but I guess they don't give a **bleep**.

9 Posts

It is shocking that even after 2 months of your posting, we still do not have an official response from Dell Support. DellSupportAssistRemediation hogging memory is a widely know problem and well reported in the community, but we still do not have an official root cause & remediation to the issue. Thanks to to community, going to the Task Manager and killing the SupportAssistRemediation Process has helped improved the performance on my Inspiron 15. But it just keeps coming back and I need to kill it after each reboot.

Dell Support- Anyone listening? My private message to dell-robert p on 1-Jun-2018 has also not evoked any response.

1 Message

June 30th, 2018 17:00

why not just post for all, since many have the same issue???

9 Posts

July 1st, 2018 00:00

I agree and that's what we have all been asking from Dell Support. Has anyone attended the Dell SupportAssist Webinars? Does it have anything useful to share?

3 Posts

April 28th, 2019 13:00

I unfortunately have just noticed the same thing. I have owned my SPS 13 9630 (2017 model) with 8GB of RAM for a little over a year. Dell Help & Support's "MDLCService" (as listed in Task Manager) will consume a relatively large percentage of RAM (1.3-1.5/8GB) everytime I boot up. 

Some say it hogs memory for 6-8 hours, I find my install hogs memory for 15-30 min until dropping to around 100MB, but this is still far too long. It prevents my other more necessary startup programs from initializing in a timely manner. 

Dell's Support staff is disappointing concerning answering community posts, even for consumer-bought business class machines. It's frustrating. I suspect the lack of priority on their end is that business's will tend to opt for their own recovery, imaging and user management software solutions and thus do not have to worry about Dell's chosen "solution."

1 Message

June 14th, 2019 08:00

I believe I have the worst situation, Luckily I have enough RAM to let it run, but my fans run like crazy.

1.png

5 Posts

September 11th, 2019 15:00

Well the thing is a buggy piece of **bleep**, as always. Still is in September 2019. Dell support didn't write it and as a software developer myself, I can see this pattern in any large organization. The time lapse from "it's a piece of **bleep** and it eats all my ram, or all my disk" to a fix, is often years.

1 Message

September 24th, 2019 14:00

I rarely reboot any of my devices and I find I never encounter any issues. When I do then I reboot and it fixes it.

Except for just now. I was in Chrome with over 30 tabs open as usual and memory well over 1gb just for Chrome which my 2019 XPS 15 is more than comfortable handeling. Yet I go to click on Windows start menu and nothing happens, it doesnt expand the start UI. I am patient so I wait a few seconds. I click again...nothing.

then my screen goes white with cursor and task bar. I open task manager and Chrome is happily running high on usage but I notice Dell Supprt Assistant Remediation but didn't think anything off it.

I restart explorer.exe, still white screen with task bar. I ended Chrome.exe. Still white with task bar.

I hold the power button down for over 15 seconds and it says restarting. I let go then hold it again for 15-20 seconds, nothing happens, still says restarting. Then after 10 seconds it goes 'off'. I press a key and the keyboard lights up then goes dark.

Anyway it eventually comes back on. I go to event viewer and see  that just as my computer went weird 'The Dell SupportAssist Remediation service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).' Followed a minute later by 'The server {354FF91B-5E49-4BDC-A8E6-1CB6C6877182} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.'

I assume this is the cause and by having a quick read online it looks highly probable.

In the past I would typically remove HP/Dell/etc bloatware but I havn't bought a machine in over 7 years so was pleasently suprised to see its got a lot better...so I kept it all. But now I might as well get rid of it.

No Events found!