Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

26 Posts

July 16th, 2019 08:00

Dell Update, SA OS Recovery tool will not install?

I have the same problem with my XPS 8930. Dell Update always tells me that a critical update is available (Support Assist OS Recovery Tools) and never install it. I've already installed the SA plugin you are mentioning, a couple of days ago. What can I do?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 17th, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your message. Do you get this error message in the Dell SA (SupportAssist) application or on Dell update?

Do you see any updates available on the SA application?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find the service tag

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 18th, 2019 12:00

* Click my DELL-name and private message me the XPS 8930 service tag number

* Uninstall the Dell Update SupportAssist Update Plugin
* When done, restart the XPS 8930

* Uninstall the Dell Update Application

* Once back into Windows, restart the XPS 8930

* Install the Dell Update Application

* Install the Dell Update SupportAssist Update Plugin

Retest.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 20th, 2019 16:00

Awaiting a response to my previous post.

26 Posts

July 25th, 2019 10:00

I've just sent you my service tag number in private.

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 25th, 2019 11:00

The "Support Assist OS Recovery Tool" is not even listed on the general XPS 8930 driver page? All I see is, "Dell Update SupportAssist Update Plugin". IF you see an option to do it manually, then do so.

26 Posts

July 25th, 2019 13:00

That''s what I said in my private message...This application is not in the list for XPS8930. How can I install it manually? Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 25th, 2019 16:00

My confusion. As I said, I cannot find a "standalone" download for this. It looks to be "part" of these three working in conjunction =
* SupportAssist for PCs and tablets
* Dell Update Application (3.0.1)
* Dell Update SupportAssist Update Plugin

I want you to check something to see if the SupportAssist OS Recovery launches, but you will not actually run the "Restore System" option.

* Restart the PC and when Dell logo appears, press F12
* Select SupportAssist OS Recovery, and then press Enter
* Does the SupportAssist OS Recovery home page appear? If yes, simply exit out of it and reboot back into Windows. If the SupportAssist OS Recovery home page appeared, then you do not need to worry about the Dell Update Application asking you install it

26 Posts

July 25th, 2019 19:00

I tried the F12 thing.  Support Assist OS Recovery is in the list and starts, but it's an old version (4.1.0.6830).  The version that Dell Update wants to upload is 4.4.1.9851.  It's a "critical" update, so I would like to have this version.

How can I have this new version?

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

July 30th, 2019 10:00

There is NO direct way to download that version. You have done all of the necessary software uninstall/reinstall and the issue is not fixed. Until we can fix the Dell software, you can ignore the message, or just uninstall Dell Update. There is nothing wrong with your XPS 8930 hardware or operating system. It is just Dell software. In the interim, we have notified the Dell software team.

26 Posts

July 30th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for your effort.

26 Posts

July 31st, 2019 21:00

Today I tried Dell Update again and SA OS Recovery Tool was installed successfully, or at least it was said that the update ended successfully. How can I check if this application is correctly installed? It's not in the application list. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 1st, 2019 08:00

Run the F12 thing and check the version.

No Events found!