Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

G

46 Posts

October 1st, 2020 11:00

Driver Detection Not Available

Hello,

Lately, I seem to be unable to have the support website automatically scan my computer for driver updates. For the past few weeks, whenever I go to the support page for a specific model (desktop or latpop), I go to "Drivers & Downloads", I click on "Detect Drivers", it appears to search for a few seconds, then comes back with "Driver Detection Not Available". I'm seeing this happen on multiple systems. I've done a search for others with this problem and see multiple complaints about it over the past few years, but no solutions.

I do have SupportAssist on my own PC, but that's not working either.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 1st, 2020 12:00

My advice is don't go looking for driver updates unless you are encountering an issue with your computer. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 1st, 2020 15:00

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Have you tried doing this by launching SupportAssist and searching that way, as shown in this vid?

46 Posts

October 1st, 2020 17:00

My PC is an Inspiron 8700 running Windows 10 x64. I didn't include that because, as I said in my original post, I'm seeing this problem across multiple models, both PCs & laptops. So I figured it was a website issue. As I also said, I did try running SupportAssist on my PC, but that didn't work either. When I clicked on "Download Drivers, nothing happens.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 10:00

Could your firewall (or antiviral app) be blocking the PC scan the site requires to access the Service Tag, version of Windows and what driver versions are currently installed so it can check for updates?

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 16:00

No, I am having the same problem on my Latitude 5480. The site detects and lists my service tag and express code correctly and the correct version of Windows 10 64-Bit.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 4th, 2020 13:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2020 13:00

Dell support assist MUST BE INSTALLED from DELL for it to work.

automated support & identify your PC with SupportAssist

https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/en-us/srsearch

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/videos/videoPlayer/using-windows-troubleshooters-in-windows-10/6079798462001

46 Posts

October 7th, 2020 13:00

Well, SupportAssist IS installed on my PC, but neither is working. The problem I'm having using the website version has been consistent on multiple PCs & laptops. I can't vouch for every single one of them, but I do know that SupportAssist is installed on several of them. It's only because it didn't seem to be working that I even tried to check the website manually in the first place. I've used it many, many times in the past and never had a problem.

46 Posts

October 7th, 2020 13:00

Thank you, Ron. 

October 18th, 2020 04:00

Was there a fix for this? I can't seem to get around this issue of driver detection having an error, both in support assist and onlne, except (infuriatingly enough) when a dell tech takes control off my computer and clicks the button for me. I'm desperate for a fix, my warranty is up in January.

• 

25.7K Posts

October 18th, 2020 05:00

Hi,

I'm Vanitha from Dell Social Media. Could you private messages us the issues on your system along with the Service tag, so that we can review.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2020 20:00

I have run into this issue myself recently too.  I run the SupportAssist app and receive an "an unexpected error occurred" message.  I use the support website and I receive a "driver detection not available" message as well.

November 3rd, 2020 02:00

Hello,

I have the same issue.  Lately, I seem to be unable to have the Support Assist detect and download drivers (it appears to search for a few seconds, then comes back with "An unexpected error has occured").

For the past few weeks I've also tried the support website to automatically scan my computer for driver updates (I go to the support page and select my computer and then go to "Drivers & Downloads", I click on "Detect Drivers", it appears to search for a few seconds, then comes back with "Driver Detection Not Available").  

I searched the Dell site and see others have the same problem. I hope you can help me.

My system is a latitude 5580.

I've also send a private message @DELL-Cares 

Kind regards

November 3rd, 2020 03:00

Hi,

After contact with Gopal at the support centre I've reinstalled Support Assist. This solved the issue.

Thanks for your fast response and help @DELL-Cares 

1 Message

November 10th, 2020 20:00

I was facing the same issue. Thanks to @Jannesdemannes message, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Dell Support Assist App and that resolved the issue.

No Events found!