Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 4th, 2018 06:00

Driver Installation after reinstall of Windows 10

I am currently planning on replacing my current failing hard drive with a new SSD. This is my first time attempting to fix computer hardware, and I have some questions related to driver installation. Thus far, I have purchased the hard drive, saved necessary files to the cloud, and created a USB boot drive of Windows 10. When I reinstall Windows 10, I will need to download and install all of the drivers that were preinstalled when I bought the laptop. If I install SupportAssist first, will it find and install everything I need? Or is there a webpage I should go to that would have a download button that would give me everything that I will need? Also, in a similar vein to the above question, the programs that were preinstalled on my laptop (Dell SupportAssist, Dell Update, Nvidia Geforce Experience, Nvidia Settings, etc.), is there any special or unique steps needed to reinstall any of these, or can I just download and install each program from there respective websites?

• 

17K Posts

July 5th, 2018 05:00

Shulk1234,

Once you get the OS installed you will need to download and install the drivers in the correct order for your computer. Click the link below to choose your system and the OS to download the drivers. The other link is the driver install order that you will need to follow. The support assist download link is listed below as well. You can install it once you have the drivers installed. It will then provide you with any new updates for your system.
Support.dell

Drivers and Downloads FAQs

Drivers Help

How to Reinstall Windows Drivers in the Correct Order

Support Assist

3 Posts

July 7th, 2018 07:00

So if I am understanding correctly. Below are the steps I need to take:

- Install OS

- Go to the Drivers and Downloads page under Support and download the necessary Drivers from this page based on the order given in the other page.

Questions:

- Since I am placing a new hard drive in the laptop, Do I need to click Detect PC so it knows the new component and downloads anything specific to that component?

-  On the Drivers and Downloads Page, it has a button to "Detect Drivers" I assume I need to click this and it will populate the list with my necessary drivers? Then I will just have to click the download buttons to install in the order given by that other webpage?

- Once the list from the Dell Support website is installed, then I need to run Windows Update and Dell Support Assist to get the rest of my drivers and updates. Correct?

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2018 04:00

Shulk1234,

The site should detect your drivers. Once you install the drivers you should have the latest drivers for the system. Support Assist may not find any driver updates if you installed all the latest drivers.

No Events found!