Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 03:00

How to stop Support Assistant Clean Files from deleting cookies?

Support Assistant Clean Files module deletes ALL cookies, including useful ones that I'd like to keep like website logins etc. It's a pain in the arse to have to re register my browser for certain websites constantly.

I've seen the same/similar complaint in the forums which the discussions always seem to dead end with Dell Support agents asking for information then never responding. Help?

• 

25K Posts

August 14th, 2020 03:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2022 10:00

Was this question ever answered? Dell Assist seems very short on Run Options or information on just what it's doing to my system.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

March 23rd, 2022 07:00

Hi Dr. Hook:

Right now the only way to prevent the background "Check PC's Performance" scan in SupportAssist (which includes the Clean Files scan) from running automatically is to disable all automated scans and optimizations at Options (gear icon) | Settings | Automate Scans and Optimizations At: as shown below. Dell employee NikhilKiroula's 26-Aug-2021 post in ex-jedi's thread Prevent Automatic Recycle Bin Emptying stated that the Clean Files scan would be modified some time around December 2021 to stop it from emptying the Recycle Bin so we'll have to wait for SuppportAssist v3.10.4 (rel. Nov 2021) to receive another update to see if this minor change actually happens.

Dell SupportAssist v3_9_1 Settings Disable All Automated Scans 19 Jun 2021.png

My 12-Jul-2021 post <here> in ex-jedi's thread had a link to a support article recommended to me by  a Dell employee that had further details on what these optimizations scans actually do but that link is no longer valid. However, I was able to find similar information at SupportAssist for Business PCs with Windows OS Frequently Asked Questions (revised Nov 2021), and the "Optimizing Your PC" section of that manual says the following about the Clean Files scan:

"... The Clean Files feature clears temporary, redundant, and other unwanted files from the PC. Some examples of unwanted files are:

• Browser data
  • Temporary files that are saved during installation and uninstallation of applications
  • Logs that are created by various programs running on the PC"

I assume that cleaning of "browser data" includes cookie cleaning. If you want to manage cookie cleaning yourself then you'll have to disable all automated scans and optimizations in the SupportAssist settings as suggested above and then configure your built-in browser settings (or use a third-party utility like CCleaner) to create exceptions and keep important cookies from being deleted when your browser history is cleaned.

Note that SupportAssist is currently disabled on my laptop and I now use the Dell Update utility or the blue "Check for Updates" button <here> on the support page for my Inspiron 5584 to check for available Dell software and driver updates.  When I was still using SupportAssist I quickly discovered how aggressive the system optimization were so I disabled all automated scans and optimizations in the SupportAssist settings and stopped running manual Clean Files, Tune Performance or Optimize Network scans from the Home tab.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1586 * Firefox v98.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2202.4-1.1.19000.8 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.6.180-1.0.1634 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.4.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

March 24th, 2022 11:00

@Yeffers wrote:

Support Assistant Clean Files module deletes ALL cookies, including useful ones that I'd like to keep like website logins etc.

I just received a private message from a Dell employee informing me that SupportAssist's Clean Files scan does not clean cookies when it purges browser data.

I can't confirm if that's true (I configured both Firefox and MS Edge to purge all cookies when my browsers are closed so I don't have any cookies to clean in the first place).  My service warranty expired in 2020 so I'm not sure why Dell is contacting me instead of the original poster Yeffers.
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.1586 * Firefox v98.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2202.4-1.1.19000.8 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.6.180-1.0.1634 * Dell SupportAssist v3.10.4.18 * Dell * Dell Update for Windows 10 Universal v4.4.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

No Events found!